Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Event Tracking "Button Clicks"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Google Community,

Temporary Website: www.wp.sustainablesv.org/

1. Google Analytics Event Tracking:
We would like to set up Google Analytics Event Tracking for the new website. In particular, we would like to track button clicks such as the "Register" button on the upcoming Water Symposium page. http://www.wp.sustainablesv.org/water-symposium/
Further, we would like to be able to track individual button clicks if a page has multiple buttons.
What will we need to do in order to set up those button click events?

2. Switching To A New Website with WordPress as CMS:
We might or might not have a new URL for our website.
 a) If we do have a new URL, will we need to set up a new Google Analytics account? Or can we keep the old one? And if we need a new account, is there a way to transfer the old account's data into the new one?
 b) If we keep the same URL but now have WordPress as CMS, will the old Google analytics account still work? Also, we had the Google Analytics tracking code installed on the old website, will we need to implement it in WordPress or is it implemented already since we had it before on the same URL.

It would be great if someone could help us with this!

Thanks,

Marco
mfoelz@sustainablesv.org
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Event Tracking "Button Clicks"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
1. Since you are running a Wordpress site, you could implement the Yoast Google Analytics plugin to automatically track the button clicks and outgoing links. Just remember to remove the GA tracking code before you enable the plugin, or you'll get double tracking.

2. you can't really transfer data from one account to another. Just keep your current tracking code and update it with the new URL. GA in unaffected by the CMS - so long as the tracking code is there, it will track.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Mike! Do you have a link to the Yoast Google Analytics plugin? I can't find it on the plugins page in WordPress.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Sorry - it's changed hands and been rebranded - now called Google Analytics by MonsterInsights

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I'll give it a try.