AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics : Compare Old vs new Website on same reporting tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two Websites under the same analytics account. I can easily access metrics from both sites but would like to compare them to one another to show progress of the new site vs the old site. How do I compare things like New users from both sites as well as other metrics?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter H
December 2015

Re: Google Analytics : Compare Old vs new Website on same reporting to

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, thanks for clarifying! You might have to go outside of GA to show the differences. As much as I dislike them, I would probably use an Excel sheet to input the data and do my calculations there. I don't think GA can compare them for you since it's going to different properties, but I may be wrong.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Peter,

I hope I am understanding correctly, but do you have the same GA tracking code on both sites?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, I meant to keep typing...if so, you can go up to the date range and click the box that says "Compare to:" and you can select the dates you want to compare. For example, if your new site took effect on November 1, you can check the old site from before Nov. 1 compared to the dates on and after Nov. 1. That might be the best way to tell, as long as you know when your new site took over.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

No I don't. will I need that in order to do what I want?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You don't have the same tracking code for both sites or you don't know when your new site took over?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I do not have the same tracking code for both sites
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter H
December 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, thanks for clarifying! You might have to go outside of GA to show the differences. As much as I dislike them, I would probably use an Excel sheet to input the data and do my calculations there. I don't think GA can compare them for you since it's going to different properties, but I may be wrong.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, that is what I was thinking was going to be the solution. but I was hopeful

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
It would be neat to be able to view two different domains (or properties) at the same time to compare. Maybe that will be in the next GA update? I hope!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hopefully you have diffirent views/properties for your sites under the same account.
I would suggest you to use http://supermetrics.com/ to pull the reports of both properties/views and then use excel to work out the trends.
Supermetrics has analytics APIs that makes it easy to pull stats from multiple accounts at the same time and you can even refresh the stats automatically server side.

If you have more budget, get tableau pro to make it easier to manipulate data and connect directly to Analytics via APIs. It doesnt support filters, so its rough on the edge sometimes.