Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Academy > Strategies and Tactics (Conceptual)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When studying regular business content, Strategy and Tactics have very clear and precise definitions, as Michael Porter said:

"Competitive strategy is about being different. It means deliberately choosing a different set of activities to deliver a unique mix of value."

That is well, once again, well established.

But within the Google Analytics Academy Courses (and Certification program), Strategies (as well as Tactics) apparently receive a different meaning, one that is not really precise to me.

Thus, I have a few questions/requests:

1. What is the formal definition of Strategy within the Google Analytics context?
  2. I would love to have 5 different examples of possible Strategies within that context.
  3. What is the formal definition of Tactics within the Google Analytics context?
  4. I would also love to have maybe 2 or 3 different examples of possible Tactics associated with each given Strategy.

I understand that this is lot to ask... but hey, you're free not to answer Smiley Happy

Thank you

Google Analytics Academy > Strategies and Tactics (Conceptual)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonathan,

From the GA video --Digital Analytics Fundamentals-- we learn that strategies are things like: Sell Products and Engage Customers while examples of tactics are: Sell Online, Drive Store Traffic and Blog.  A Google search on the subject of Strategy and Tactics in the context of Google Analytics did not produce much.  From this very limited dataset, my guess is that Strategies and Tactics are meant to be generic methods for achieving the desired business outcomes -- i.e. profits, brand equity, growth etc.  They form a two tier hierarchy of answers to the main question -- where the lower tier, the "tactics", explain how the higher tier goals -- the "strategies"-- are to be achieved.   In my understanding GA introduces the concept of "strategies" and "tactics" to facilitate the formal and structured presentation of the primary and secondary goals --in a hierarchical sense-- of the digital marketing venture.  This hiererchy will serve in term as the conceptual foundation for  the derivation of KPIs and performance metrics.