Analytics
7.1K members online now
7.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goo.gl Shortened URL & Analytics Discrepancy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all, 

First, I spent about 20 minutes searching the web for an answer to this and couldnt' find anything. Second, I searched this forum, found only a couple topics relating, 1 had a spam answer, 1 had no answer and one was generic, so I'm posting this fresh. 

I ran Facebook ads.

I used a Goo.gl shortened link in my Facebook ads.

Goo.gl reported 219 clicks.

In Analytics> UTM/Source shows only 9 hits to my website 

Question: Why such a large discrepancy in clicks reported by Google's own link shortener and Google's own analytics software? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goo.gl Shortened URL & Analytics Discrepancy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No one?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Erik while I have not used google shortened links it sounds as if the UTM parameters are not being passed during the conversion to the longer URL. I am assuming you are using Campaigns to track this and not Events inside of GA. You can test this theroy by clicking on the link from Facebook you self and watching it in Real Time with in GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Erik

I was searching for the same and I came across this article , please read the first comment on the article from Justin Cutroni , he is from Google analytics team and he confirmed that Google shortened urls are counted as referrals from Facebook in Google analytics.
https://blog.kissmetrics.com/google-analytics-social-reports/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Erik,

I have the same problem. While I checked goo.gl shown around 1400 clicks yet Analytics only showed around 800 clicks...
Do you have any solution? Is goo.gl not accurate? Thanks!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello All,
I have exact same problem (was hoping to find a place where I can send feedback to google - but they seem to hide that well - so much for "listening to our clients"),
Seems like we can't actually trust neither goo.gl nor google page view analytics as discrepancy between these is way over 50%
While one would assume if I direct a shortcut to a page in my site - I would see the same amount of entries or more - but certainly not expecting less!
So does goo.gl loose some major portion of redirection, or we just can't trust google analytics counting?
Would really hope for a formal answer of a Google representative - if anyone in the room...
Kobi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I had same problem .. I have used tags for Short Url..
Analytics shows proper data using tags .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Erik,

I have just encountered this same problem. I have been browsing around trying to find an answer and the closest I have found is this article by megaanalytics https://megalytic.com/blog/dangers-of-shortened-urls-for-analytics

It mentions in there and the comments to do with bot clicks being filtered out.

I hope this helps!

Goo.gl Shortened URL & Analytics Discrepancy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also facing same issue. Discrepancy is of 10 folds. I again tried making my own url shortner, this also had same issue. I did check server logs for referrers, everything looks legit. 

Please let me know your findings.