AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goals vs Pageview mismatch - How to solve this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

We have a website on which we redirect traffic to partners.

We measure the amount that we send to our partners and each click-out is a conversion for us (=goal).

We've set up the goal measurement like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.23.41 AM.png

When people click on an ad on our website, they go to a redirect page like this: www.example.com/url/http://www.abc.com/viewad_21314 and after 2 or 3 seconds it automatically redirects it to our partner. The 2 or 3 seconds give analytics enough time to capture this.

When I check in our goals this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.26.43 AM.png

- 120 conversions for that day and a conversion rate of just under 50%.

However when I check "Site Content --> All Pages" and filter on all pages with /url/ in the URL, this is what I get:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.29.35 AM.png

- 425 Page views, so that should mean 425 conversions for that same day. Somehow it only captured 1/4th of that in goals. I've checked all the URLs here and they are all correct so this is the right number and thus goals should show us this number.

Is there something that we've set up wrongly in GA? Could there be a technical explanation for this? Any other ideas/reasons what's wrong?

Thanks in advance for your attention and help.

Kind regards,

Molle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author molle d
May 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Molle,

Google Analytics Goals fire once per session per goal. For instance, if a user sees a single page 2 times within a session and that page is set as a destination type goal, you'll see 1 goal completion and 2 page views in Google Analytics.

If a user will see those pages during her session:

1. www.example.com/url/http://www.abc.com/viewad_21314

2. www.example.com/url/http://www.xyz.com/viewad_21434

3. www.example.com/url/http://www.mnl.com/viewad_90344

And you've used the destination goal type > begins with > /url/, you'll see 3 unique page views in Google Analytics but only 1 Goal Completion. That's how GA works and that's why you probably see the difference.

I recommend using outbound link tracking in order to get more accurate data. Then you don't need this kind of redirects. It's possible to set this up using GA or GTM (Google Tag Manager).

If you're running Google Tag Manager on your website, it's even easier to implement outbound link tracking. You can just import this JSON file to your GTM container. You can use this step-by-step guide as well to set this up using GTM.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes @molle d.
Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author molle d
May 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Molle,

Google Analytics Goals fire once per session per goal. For instance, if a user sees a single page 2 times within a session and that page is set as a destination type goal, you'll see 1 goal completion and 2 page views in Google Analytics.

If a user will see those pages during her session:

1. www.example.com/url/http://www.abc.com/viewad_21314

2. www.example.com/url/http://www.xyz.com/viewad_21434

3. www.example.com/url/http://www.mnl.com/viewad_90344

And you've used the destination goal type > begins with > /url/, you'll see 3 unique page views in Google Analytics but only 1 Goal Completion. That's how GA works and that's why you probably see the difference.

I recommend using outbound link tracking in order to get more accurate data. Then you don't need this kind of redirects. It's possible to set this up using GA or GTM (Google Tag Manager).

If you're running Google Tag Manager on your website, it's even easier to implement outbound link tracking. You can just import this JSON file to your GTM container. You can use this step-by-step guide as well to set this up using GTM.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes @molle d.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thank you so much for your reply. This helps a lot.

As we want to get this up and running ASAP we are thinking of implementing the GA code from the outbound link tracking page seems to require the least time and effort to get this set up right now.

Once we've implemented the code, we can set up a GA event goal with Catagory 'outbound' and Action 'click' and that should do, or am I missing something?

Thanks so much @Taavi Kalvi.

Molle

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Molle,

You'll need to make sure which events you'd like to track as a goal. As I mentioned before, goals only fire once per session per goal. If you'd like to see all the outbound clicks separately, you can just analyze events.

Keep in mind, you can create up to 20 different goals in Google Analytics but the unlimited number of events. I would use the event label field as well. Then you can exactly figure which ads perform the best.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thanks again for your reply.

So basically we want all outbound clicks to hit as goal, the higher number from my opening post.

Can we fix that with event tracking from the outbound tracking link that you posted or will we get the same number as with our current goal setup?

Molle

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Molle,

If you implement outbound link tracking (basically event tracking) and you use a specific event category, action, and label - you can see exactly how many times your specific ads were clicked.

If you implement outbound link tracking and you don't have specific event label for specific ads, you cannot see which ads are performing the best.

I recommend implementing outbound link tracking and set a unique value for every outbound link (ad).

Category: Outbound link
Action: Click
Label: (value that separates one ad/link from the rest)

If you've done that, you can create goals in Google Analytics as well. Keep in mind that goals will fire once per session per goal. If someone clicks on 2 different ads in one session and you've defined only one goal, you'll see one goal completion in GA. If you have 10 different goals then it's a different case. You can create up to 20 different goals in GA. I personally recommend using events to analyze the performance of your ads instead of goals if you have a lot of different outbound links / ads.

Taavi