Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goals setup with events to see total events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've set a particular event to be defined as a goal. When I look at the data for that goal, it appears to be showing unique events, not total events. When I look at the data for that event I can see that the number reported for unique events is the number that reports for that goal. How can I get it to report total events not unique for the goal?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goals setup with events to see total events

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rolando - unfortunately this is not how Goals as a feature work inside Google Analytics - a Goal can be completed only once inside a session / visit. So for a specific Goal Id inside a session the metric (Goal completion) can be either 0 or 1.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So the thing that doesn't make sense is, I have some goals that are pageviews, and for those I definitely get multiple conversions per session. So it counts pageviews not unique pageviews. But for events it counts unique events, so it is doing apples and oranges in the goal tracking depending on the definition of the goal. It would make sens for a goal to be multiple per session as that is a typical user behavior.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
The principle they've used is a user is a session (default 30 mins) and the question the goal is answering is did the 'user' (30m session) do this particular thing as a binary 0 or 1 goal
If you wish to trick out your goal tracking then you should look into changing your user session time, or have a look at Google Tag Manager as it allows you to do basically whatever you want - very powerful stuff.

hope that helps mate

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Rolando, in case of pageviews it would really help if you could send printscr of your goal settings and count.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net