Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goals in one View don't work in other view. Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I have the following problem and I tried to describe it as easy as possible =)

Our Shop uses Analytics. We have one property and three different Views – Shop (the Shop itself), Info (Information-platform for users) and All (everything together). Shop was our first View and later we expanded the website and then we divided everything and made more views – the 3 mentioned views. Anyway, in the beginning we had implemented two goals for the Shop view: "Sales" and "Newsletter". They both work perfectly fine. 

But now, I would like to see these goals also in the All-View, where all data is visible – not only in the Shop-View, where we had implemented them in the beginning. But these goals do not work in the All-View. They do not count any conversion at all.

Is it not possible to implement the same goals in two different views? Does somebody know what the problem might be? What can I do to see these goals in the All-View and also in the Shop-View?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Best regards 

Philipp
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goals in one View don't work in other view. Why?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, there should be no problem setting this up as long as the views report the data used to match goal conditions.

If possible attach the goal setup for both views and filters used so instructions can be more detailed.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Also note that goals will count from the time of goal activation so no historic data will be counted as goal completion.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Phillip,

Goals are attached to their views therefore you'll have to re-create the Shop view goals in the Everything view.

When creating goals, google analytics has a handy feature that shows you how many times the goal you're trying to complete may have happened in the last seven days. The cool thing is to take this figure (treat it as an estimate) and compare with actual goal completions in the last 7 days from the Shop view. If these numbers are roughly the same then you're in the right direction and can go ahead and save this new Goal under the Everything view.

As Zorin said any edits to views are not retrospective. You'll only get goal data, from the time goal is created. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Zorin Escape and Kudakwashe Z,

first of all thank you for your replies. I will try to explain my problem a bit more detailed:

Our Property looks like this:

Property: Company
- View 1: Shop (from the beginning) --- Goals: Sales and Newsletter
- View 2: Info (came later)
- VIew 3: Everything (came later)

Since the beginning we have implemented the goals "Sales" and "Newsletter" for the Shop. They work perfectly fine.

But now I want to see the two goals also in the View "Everything". Because that view has all the traffic data. For this I implemented the same goals as in the view "Shop". But in this view they don't work - also when I use this feature how many conversion would have happened in the last seven days it shows 0.00%. But I don't know why - it is the same page, the same urls and the same everything.

Thank you so much!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How old is the Everything view since you mentioned it "came later".

If it's less than a day old it might not have enough data to give you that estimate.

A thing to note, new views start collecting data from the time of creation and are not retroactive.

My advice is go ahead and put those Shop goals in (since you are sure they were working before) and go through the funnel yourself and check after a few hours - a day if your goal has been added to reports.

if you want to see results quicker, I'd suggest using another browser instead of the one you're developing with. This is to make sure the session expires quicker and data can be collated and might be available sooner in analytics.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This has been well answered but one more tip may help you for future.

When you create a new view if you would like it to have the same goals as an existing view then Copy the existing view as the goals will be copied with it.
NB: be sure to check if you have any filters running or anything that you do not want copied over.

more info on copying views available here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3256366?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Philipp J,

I had exactly the same problem. I implemented the same goal in one of the views as in the original view, but it was not working (I assume you, as myself, were checking if the goal is working in real-time). However, when I checked on the next day the goals appeared. I am still not sure what the problem is or was, but the goals appeared and seem to be working properly.

Hope it helps,

Borys