Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal to a link on a Trip Advisor Snippet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have scanned these pages but cannot find a similar query.

I have a B&B website and have put an HTML fragment of the Trip Advisor code which gives some of our reviews and a link to read more on our business page on TA.

I have set up the links as a custom/destination/equals to the full web address.

Pressing the verify button prompts success but it returns 0 conversion although I know I have clicked the link several times. Even using part of the URL from the / symbol does not work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Darius Mehta

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal to a link on a Trip Advisor Snippet

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Darius,

Can you clarify a few things?

#1 Are you trying to count conversions from Trip Advisor? Because if so it cannot work since you cannot place a Universal Analytics tracking code on their domain.
#2 Are you trying to add UTM tracking to a link from Trip Advisor and trying to attribute the conversion to Trip Advisor but it's not reporting?
- If so there are two possible issues here: (a) Your UTM tracking was improperly setup or (b) Trip Advisor does not allow you to attach UTM tracking to the link you posted.
#3 There is also the additional possibility that your goal setup is not correctly setup so double check that OR Darius it is known by Universal Analytics to sometimes report back 0% conversions when the goal is new and there haven't been many conversions.
Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi
Can you elaborate your question with your URL and scenario?
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The snippet code is provided by TA as part of my business package with them. Incidentally the Twitter link also does not register as a goal and maybe there is a common reason for links from embedded snippets!

Incidentally I have clicked the link myself many times so there should be some recording on the verify process.

Hope that helps and you can help me!

Darius Mehta
01225 782463
www.honeysuckle-cottage.org.uk

Sent from my iPad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

My URL is www.honeysuckle-cottage.org.uk. The TA snippet is on the home page. I attach the screen grab of the snippet with the hyperlink on Read Reviews.

92AF5337-5472-4D72-92AF-1B975FFB6653

The set up in GA goals is as follows:

3F33135F-493B-4300-8BA1-17AC1AD6DBDA
The snippet code is provided by TA as part of my business package with them. Incidentally the Twitter link also does not register as a goal and maybe there is a common reason for links from embedded snippets!

Incidentally I have clicked the link myself many times so there should be some recording on the verify process.

Hope that helps and you can help me!

Darius Mehta
01225 782463

Sent from my iPad

It seems I cannot attach a screen grab!!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
HI
I would love to help you but your page seems to be infected its opening all soft of pop-ups for me. Can you please clean your code? Also please remove this post and repost after cleaning the code.
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't understand. The site is perfectly clean on iPad and a laptop no pop ups. Maybe you are opening it on a mobile and that is a different site which I use from Duda.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Darius,

I don't understand, is the intended goal supposed to happen on your website or on Trip Advisor?

If its off-page then there's no way to count the goal. If it's on page a simple solution would be to insert an 'event' when someone clicks on your link and then create a goal based on said event.
Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Joshua,

Thanks for your response and to answer your questions:

1. No. I am trying to gauge how many times people click on the review snippet which TripAdvisor have given me to put on my website. The HTML code fragment for this snippet is <script src="https://www.jscache.com/wejs?wtype=selfserveprop&uniq=520&locationId=617317&lang=en_UK&a...;

2. Yes I am trying to set up the tracking from my website with UA tracking to count the number of clicks that people make on the Read Reviews link. This link does work and opens TA in a new tab.

3. It seems that the goal set up is ok as other links that I have set up do work.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Darius Mehta
01225 782463

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The intended goal is clicking a link to the TA page of my reviews on their
site. The HTML fragment on our website summarises our reviews on TA and has
a clickable link to our business page on TA. That is what I need to get an
analysis of. How many clicks on my website go to TA.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Darius Mehta