Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal source is always referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up goal conversions on the thank you page (destination goal) for a form that we use to collect free trial registrations. The conversions seem to be logging (numbers match up with what I'd expect), however when I look at the Channel grouping report all the conversions are coming through as referrals from Survey Gizmo. 

I'm assuming that this is because users move from my website, through Survey Gizmo (the SG form is iframed into the website, e.g. http://uk.mathletics.com/freetrial/) to fill out the form and then return to the thank you page, which is when the conversion is logged and therefore the conversions look like they've come directly from Survey Gizmo to convert.

Can anyone help me to capture the actual source of these goal conversions?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Graham F
June 2016

Re: Goal source is always referral

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Graham,

You are exactly correct on identifying the cause. While there is a fix in GA tracking, my first preference would be to jettison the iframe and post the data over instead from your own form. If that's not possible you'll have to see if you can do a custom version of the GATC for cross domain. Easiest way is universal analytics using the linker plugin - that said it doesn't always work if JavaScript is involved.

Here is a reference for you:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Graham F
June 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Graham,

You are exactly correct on identifying the cause. While there is a fix in GA tracking, my first preference would be to jettison the iframe and post the data over instead from your own form. If that's not possible you'll have to see if you can do a custom version of the GATC for cross domain. Easiest way is universal analytics using the linker plugin - that said it doesn't always work if JavaScript is involved.

Here is a reference for you:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, I can't change the form but the new GATC or plugin should solve the issue.

Best,
G

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If I understand your problem correctly there is faster and simpler solution - just add Survey Monkey URL to 'Referral Exclusion List' in your GA property in Administration->Tracking Information. When you do that GA would skip Survey Monkey as a referral and assign conversion to original source.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Referral exclusion without cross domain will only reclassify the referral
as direct.

-Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I beg to disagree - it's the same case as eCommerce site using payment gateway. In that case you need to add payment gateway's URL to referral exclusion list to see your original source of purchase. You don't need cross domain when before and after Survey Monkey you are on the same page. For example:

Domain A -> Survey Monkey -> Domain B // that requires cross domain tracking
Domain A -> Survey Monkey -> Domain A // 'Referral exclusion' would work like a charm (talking from experience)

If I understand it correctly Graham's page after Survey Monkey is the same as before so 'Referral Exclusion' is a way to go.

GA attributes referral in a "last non-direct source" manner. So when we add Survey Monkey to Referral Exclusion List we would get something like this for example:

Path 1: Direct ->Domain A -> Survey Monkey -> Domain A //sourceSmiley Very Happyirect
Path 2: Organic->Domain A -> Survey Monkey -> Domain A //source: Organic

However I'm open for a discussion if you have different view.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
That's true if it happens during the same session and returns to the site
which could work in this case but without cross domain or a flavor it for
the iframe, youll still see some referrals or hide them in direct.

The best solution is to post the data over and remove the iframe. Smiley Happy
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Let's agree on the fact that we disagree on this one Smiley Happy. In what case user would not return to Thank You Page after registering? Also this not the case - goal is counted when you actually land on Thank You Page. And I would like to emphasize it one more time - you don't need cross-domain tracking when you start on Domain A and finish on Domain A. You need it only when you have two different domains in your path so GA would parse _ga cookie data from Domain A to Domain B and stitch it into one session.

However I agree that it would be best to process it without external page Smiley Happy