2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello I would like some help with setting up goals so I can monitor when documents are viewed/downloaded or when a video is played from this site: http://www.portmorevet.com/pet-corner.html. The content is changed monthly. I tried reading the article https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6165470?hl=en&ref_topic=6150929 however I am not a programmer I simply manage the website via Network Solutions. Any assistance would be appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal setup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Julie S,

Are you able to share more information, like where these documents and videos are, or what you have tried so far for your goal configurations, and how you would like them configured, ie. as event goals or destinations goals, etc. Any additional information helps.

Also are you using Google Tag Manager?

Thanks.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The documents were uploaded to network solutions and the video is a youtube video embedded on the website. I have tried setting them up as destination goals and put begins with /assets because this is what the url for the documents comes up as when i open them. I get the impression that for the video I would have to do some changes to coding and I'm not involved in that aspect of the site. Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And yes I do have tag manager.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wondering if you can still assist me? Waiting for your reply. Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Julie,

Sorry for dropping off there. Let's pick up where we left off. So you want to track two things: 1. video events, and 2. document views/downloads.

I can see the embedded video on the page you linked to. How about where the documents are? Can you point me to those?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much, the documents are on the same page http://www.portmorevet.com/pet-corner.html. There are four documents, they are links indicated by click here or newsletter.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
HI Julie,

So the "Click Here" links are just links to different pages. You won't need to do anything different there because you'd be able to report on those through your normal pageviews report. The Newsletter link can be tagged with a specific event when the user clicks on it. You would need to add an onclick handler to send the event to GA, like this for example:

onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'download', 'newsletter');"

The video tracking can be done, but you would a lot of developer support to implement the tracking for it. I write a guide on tracking embedded YouTube videos, but it was meant for GTM. The code within is still valid, and that's where you need your developer to help out with adapting the code in the absence of GTM.

Let me know if you have any more questions about these. Unfortunately, you will need to consult with your developers for all of these things, since you are not using GTM.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Sorry, just a look again at the other links. Some of them are .PDF links, so you use similar code to send the event to GA:

onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'download', 'click', 'some name for the link clicked');"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately the package we have with Network Solutions doesn't cover all these changes to code so I'll just have to do without tracking events.