AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal setting in Google analytics (regular expression?)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question about setting goals in Google Analytics. I want to set goals for the following three pages:

1. www.website.nl/contact/#wpcf7-f302-o1
  2. www.website.nl/offerte-aanvragen/#wpcf7-f323-o1
  3. www.website.nl/diensten/buitenreclame/gevelreclame/#wpcf7-f469-o1

The first (1) one is the contact page, the second (2) one is a quotation request, the third (3) is also a quotation request, but for a specific product, in this case 'gevelreclame'. So I have a lot of pages who are similar as the third (3) one (with the difference of product name in the URL).

I want to set goals in Google Analytics for all these pages but it doesn't work with what I've tried so far. I've tried: 

• regular expression: (f302-o1)
  • regular expression: f302-o1

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I want to set goals for all webpages.

Thanks in advance.

Genya

Goal setting in Google analytics (regular expression?)

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Genya,

Google Analytics ignores(cuts off) the URL # fragments, this is why your goals are not working. 

If you use sub directories or URL query parameters for product names instead of # fragments. You can do this by changing your website's URL structure or you can change the tracked page path with a sub-directory or query parameter by modify your URI path and set it in your Google Analytics pageview command.

Example:

ga('send', 'pageview', { 'page': '/contact/wpcf7-f302-o1'}); 

or

ga('send', 'pageview', { 'page': '/contact?product=wpcf7-f302-o1'});

I hope this helps to solve your problem.

Regards,

Güney