AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal set up to segment users by custom engagement

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I would like to analyse the similarities/differences in behaviour of users that access my site (they must log in and I have custom events+dimensions to track each user based of userID). I would like to segment them based off the number of times they access my site. 

Specifically I would like to split them up as per below: 

Super engaged = logins for 3/4 weeks per calendar month

Kinda engaged = logins for 2/4 weeks per month 

And so on, so forth. 

Does anyone know of a way?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal set up to segment users by custom engagement

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Michael,

Easy Peasy. What you are describing is the default behavior of the "Behavior >> Sessions" (count of sessions by user) field in the segment building tool. You'll have to add in an advanced condition that pulls in one of your custom dimensions to indicate whether someone is logged in.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Michael,

I ignored the topic: Goal. Smiley Sad

So you can't set a goal for this but you can easily build the segment. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What would the best steps to do this be?

Since I track logins and date/timestamp these logins I can probably create a segment with a filter possibly? But won't this require constant updating? I really want to avoid much manual intervention if possible. If you think of a better way could you let me know? Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hey Michael,

Probably something like this segment template:

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=Tkt9Ky9JRAi0-HycM-QJfg

You'll have to modify the advanced part to whatever your custom dimension is named and for what value you expect.

That said if, as you say in your original post, the user must log in; then you probably can skip the advanced condition and just use the first part of the segment.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn