AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All, 

I added a goal to client's Analytics account but it's not working. 
I followed the steps per usual and even had a colleague check it for me to make sure I wasn't missing anything but he couldn't see what the problem is. 
The goal is a newsletter sign up and the destination URL is https://lydianaturals.com/thank-joining-list/
I know several people have signed up including myself but the goal is still showing as none.

Any help so welcome!
Thanks in advance!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal not working

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Karen,

When did you set this up? Processing latency is 24-48 hours in GA (regular reports). You can use a Real-Time report in GA to figure out if it works properly or not.

Does your goal configuration look like that?

goal configuration.png

I guess you don't have any other similar URLs that contain "thank-joining-list", so this kind of configuration should work well. If you have, you'll need to modify this a bit.

BTW - Your Google Analytics tracking code appears twice on the same page causing double tracking. It means that every time the page loads, it’ll fire two page views and that's why you probably have a really low bounce rate. It's inaccurate. You should remove one of the Google Analytics codes from your website in order to fix it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Goal not working

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
atm the tracking code has been added to the site twice.

once via a plugin.. and not sure how the other code snippet has been added..

(maybe the theme has an admin setting for adding scripts or the ga tracking code?)

how have you configured the goal as a destination url..or a something else?
is the goal destination entered as equal to  /thank-joining-list/
have you created a funnel or just the goal without any funnel steps?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Goal not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Taavi, thank you! I set it up at least 2 weeks ago.

It was set to "equals to". I changed it to "regular expression". Was that the problem?

I also removed the 2nd tracking code. 

Goal not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Bronwyn, thank you!
Yes, set up as destination url.
Yes, it was set up as "equals to" but I just changed it to "regular expression" per above feedback.
I haven't created a funnel. Just the goal without funnel steps.

Goal not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So "equals to" doesn't work? Do you think that is the reason?

I just signed up with a different email and it still says "0". Something is not working. 

Goal not working

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Karen,

Fill out this form that drives people to your thank-you page and take a look at your Real-Time report -> Conversions in Google Analytics at the same time. Do you see any Goal Hits (Last 30 min) there?

If you don't see any goal hits, there can be something wrong:

1) Goal has not been configured properly in GA

2) You didn't land on this "thank-you" page after completing the form that you mentioned before (and configured in GA).

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Goal not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Weird, I didn't get an email notification with your reply above. So there are no goal hits there meaning it's not configured properly. What do I do next? I don't see how I couldn't configure it properly. Can you send me to a doc to make sure I do it correctly? 

Goal not working

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Karen Smiley Happy

Are you analyzing this property: UA-55218668-1?

Could you please take a screenshot of you goal configuration in Google Analytics?

That helps you make sure is it working or not: Go to this page and then open your Google Analytics account -> Reporting -> Real-Time -> Conversions -> Goal Hits (Last 30 min)

You should see at least 1 conversion there if you've filtered out your IP address.

We will try to help you as much as possible.

Here you'll find an official documentation as well: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033158?hl=en&ref_topic=1032952

Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Goal not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, that's the property. And no, when I am on the page, it says 1 and when I close out it still says 1. So, it's not working. I didn't filter out my ip. 

But strange....now it's showing 2 conversions in Goals (in the last 7 days). 

Just in case, I took a screenshot of my set up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5AI5NkAqCHqTG9CU0Y1ZXEtUlE/view?usp=sharing