Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal not working (funnel set up)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Currently trying to set up a conversion goal in GA. I'm trying to put together a funnel so I can see how far down people are dropping out the funnel before converting.

When I verify the goal I get a conversion of 2.45% (which means it is working) but I cant see any data show up. Any suggestions to make it work?

Website is cooleffect.org

Used reg expression: /purchase/receipt as end of goal (user purchases)

Funnel:

First step: Homepage     : /

Second step: Coollection Overview Page    : /coollection/coollection

Third step: Shopping Cart  : /purchase/shoppingCart

Fourth step: Buy page : /purchase/buy

Fifth step: Confirmation page :  /purchase/receipt

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Setting up a new goal (With funnel)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Currently trying to set up a conversion goal in GA. I'm trying to put together a funnel so I can see how far down people are dropping out the funnel before converting.

When I verify the goal I get a conversion of 2.45% (which means it is working) but I cant see any data show up. Any suggestions to make it work?

Website is cooleffect.org

Used reg expression: /purchase/receipt as end of goal (user purchases)

Funnel:

First step: Homepage     : /

Second step: Coollection Overview Page    : /coollection/coollection

Third step: Shopping Cart  : /purchase/shoppingCart

Fourth step: Buy page : /purchase/buy

Fifth step: Confirmation page :  /purchase/receipt

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Thanks

Re: Goal not working (funnel set up)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dave :-)
I notice regex is being used as the match type, which means regex needs to be used
for every step.
Has the first step of the funnel been marked as required?

The regex for the homepage would usually be ^/$
Also if using regex, because a number of the page urls are similar
I would begin each url with a ^ and end it with a $
eg ^/purchase/shoppingCart$

Bare in mind, sometimes funnel and goal data can take up to 48hrs to start showing in the reports
and Funnel Conversion rate and Goal Conversion rate are not the same thing.
Goal conversions relate to the Goal page only, and have nothing to do with a site visitor
moves through any of the funnel steps or not.
Funnel conversions relate to the funnel only.

Also you may find the goal flow report helpful as well, more info here:
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2012/08/06/goal-flow-how-visitors-really-move-through-funnel/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bronwyn! Appreciate the reply. So if the conversion is only 1.5% (very low Smiley Frustrated), will I only see the funnel for those 1.5%? Or will I see all the users that have entered the funnel regardless of whether they convert?

I've set the goals up using the reg ex ^/$. Fingers crossed! Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
If you are using a destination url for a goal, if someone hits that url during a session it will be counted as a goal conversion.
If they hit that destination url more than once during the same session, it will still only count as one goal conversion.

To the best of my knowledge, for the goal funnel, if someone doesn't touch any of the funnel steps during conversion, they will not be counted as part of the funnel conversion rate.

If you have the first step of the funnel ticked as required, unless someone completes that first step they wont be counted as a funnel conversion.
They will still be seen as a goal conversion though for that session.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here