AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal not counting all submissions of a form

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I've created a goal to capture when a user registers on our website. Using destination as /profile-page/ - which is where they get directed following registration.

To ensure that they're registering, not just viewing their profile, I've turned on the funnel and set a required first step as /register/.

What I'm noticing over a 3 day period is that Google Analytics displays 18 Goal Completions, but we have 30 new sign ups in our database.

Have I done something wrong in the setup? I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil S
March 2016

Re: Goal not counting all submissions of a form

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

A goal can be completed only once per a session. So if a user goes through the funnel multiple times for some reason in the same session, only one goal completion is counted.
Also it can happen that some of the users are using the opt-out browser add-on so their activity is not tracked in GA. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil S
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

A goal can be completed only once per a session. So if a user goes through the funnel multiple times for some reason in the same session, only one goal completion is counted.
Also it can happen that some of the users are using the opt-out browser add-on so their activity is not tracked in GA. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Looks like all the users are unique, in theory it shouldn't be the first one, unless multiple users signed up through the same device... AND while writing this I quizzed the team, looks like they were getting people to sign up on an iPad at an event.

That must be the reason for the discrepancy. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

Chris