Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal is being triggered more than once in a session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I have noticed something really odd. I have a goal that is triggered if a visitor spends more than a minute on the website. If I compare it with the Page dimension I get more goal triggers than sessions in which a user has viewed the page, leading to conversion rates in excess of 100%.

Can anyone think of what the issue might be here?

Here's a link to the picture in my google drive

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Petra M
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Session counts are tied to landing page of a session, so when you look at all of the pages in a session, only the first page gets a count of 1. The rest are given a 0.

If you put Sessions in a report of pages, the 'sessions' count is actually the number of times the page was the first page of a session (a landing page). Use the 'Unique Pageviews' metric to see how many sessions included the page.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Petra M
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Session counts are tied to landing page of a session, so when you look at all of the pages in a session, only the first page gets a count of 1. The rest are given a 0.

If you put Sessions in a report of pages, the 'sessions' count is actually the number of times the page was the first page of a session (a landing page). Use the 'Unique Pageviews' metric to see how many sessions included the page.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, this is something I didn't know! So essentially what I need is a Goal completions per pageview ratio instead of a Goal completions per session. Thanks for that.