AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal for conversion tracking across subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want to setup a goal for tracking conversions across multiple subdomains.

E.g. I have users landing from facebook at a page play.domain.com/<path>. 

There is a link for signing up there which redirects them to www.domain.com.

In the www subdomain I have a form which is submitted and where I capture the sign up intent. I want to setup a goal for tracking conversion from play --> www --> signup.

Any idea how I can get this done. The GA code on both the sites is the same (using the same property id). I also have filters attached to views where the individual site visits are tracked.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal for conversion tracking across subdomains

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Barada,

If your tracking is, as you say, cohesive across the subdomains up to the top level domain (TLD) and the TLD is the same, and you are using Universal, there is really nothing extraordinary you need to do.

Simple create the goal based upon the thank you page and you can use the reverse goal path report to see the previous three pages. You could also set a session level custom dimension to flag the origin subdomain if there are many and use that for reporting.

Lastly if the URI of the pages across subdomains and the TLD are the same (/ or /aboutus, etc.) then you could use an advanced filter to prepend the hostname to the uri so that the hostname is exposed in the content reports e.g. play.domain.com/signup domain.com/signup. This could also make it easier for you to set up goal funnels.

Resource links for the above:

Cdims
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets

Advanced filter
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn