AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal doesn't verify

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have set my Goal for tracking conversions on my website.

I put this in the Goal URL: /successpayment

as this is the page that comes after a user completes a payment on my website.

The website is still in development so I just tested a few payments to load the page

that I have put in the Goal URL and the number of Goal Completions is still showing 0

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal doesn't verify

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Roy :-)

A goal will only register as a goal once during a session, so when testing what you should do is clear cookies each time you complete the goal before completing the goal again.. or after completing a goal, leave the site for 30+mins to allow the current session to timeout and end before attempting to complete the goal again.

New goals sometimes wont verify if not enough data has been collected in the previous 7 days for analytics to use it.
Lack of verification doesnt always indicate an issue with the goal/goal setup.

What match type have you used for the goal eg Equal to, Begins with, Regex?
Does /successpayment appear in the analytics reports as that? or do parameters get appended to the URL
or do you have any filters applied to the View that may be altering how the URL is reported in analytics?
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Now I notice that I used Equal To
I didn't write the whole address as below the URL text field it says that for a webpage I shouldn't type in the whole address but only the end (/webpage), so that's what I did.

I didn't understand your question after that one.

No filter.

Another little question...I put in the Goal URL the link to the thank you page that comes after a PayPal payment was taken place but I fear that sometimes people will just leave to another page straight from PayPal as it takes about 10 (long) seconds for PayPal to redirect to the thank you page.
So, Is there a way to put in the PayPal URL? it's a very long URL that I'm pretty positive that it's not fixed and it's outside of my website (starts with www.paypal.com).
Any ideas?

Roy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
bump...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Roy :-)

Now I notice that I used Equal To
I didn't write the whole address as below the URL text field it says that for a webpage I shouldn't type in the whole address but only the end (/webpage), so that's what I did.

Yes that is correct :-) What i was meaning in relation to parameters etc.. when someone gets sent to that page from paypal.. 
does the url stay as /successpayment or does it turn into something similar to /successpayment?something=somethinghere&also=maybe123455 with parameters something=somethinghere added to the end of it.

Provided you clear your cookies each time you do a test paypal transaction. then you provided your own visits arent being blocked by some method, you should be able to see the goal conversion in the Real Time reporting

Not sure if the following article is helpful to you in regards to tracking paypal transactions.
http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/91286-Google-Analytics-How-to-Track-PayPal-Transactions

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here