Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal completions by event not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to track how many goals were leaded to by specific events. I would like to compare results:

a) How many Goal Completions if user saw popup

b) How many Goal Completions if user didn't saw popup

Event is sent with this code:

ga('send', 'event', 'Popup', 'Popup showed', 'Popup title');

When testing I first trigger event, then I visit a goal completion page. So this means both event was triggered and goal was set. If I visits goals sections I can see new goal was tracked. If I visit events section I can see also event was tracked.

So what is weird is that events are tracked, also goal completions. But if I want to use event as dimension together with goals as metrix, it won't display any data. If I use Event label as dimension and % New Sessions as metrix it will show data. Also if I use Browser as dimension and Goal completions as metrix, it will display data. Only when using combination of event label and goals it won't show data.

Any idea what is wrong?

Inside Custom Dashboard I added new widget with these settings:

settings.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,

Are you sure that you are using correct Event category name?. What happens if you don't apply any filter? and are you using correct date range?

Thanks

Sura

IRe: Goal completions by event not working

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am sure I use correct Event Category Name and correct date range. Even if I don't apply any filter it also won't show data. If I use Event label as dimension and % New Sessions as metrix it will show data. If I use Browser as dimension and Goal completions as metrix, it will display data. So both goals and events are there. But when using combination of event label as dimension and goals completions as metrix it won't show data. Even if goal was reached after event was triggered (I can verify that because both are visible in Real-time view.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ernest,

Can you post some screenshot of Events, Goals and your goal settings please.

Thanks

Sura

Re: Goal completions by event not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

yes sure. Here are screenshots:

printscreens.png

To test I visit http://alter7.com/test6/ which is my test store. I wait couple of seconds, popup will show up. I click button inside popup. Then add any product to cart to finish checkout process. Any fake data can be used, it is demo store. After clicking Place order button you come to http://alter7.com/test6/checkout/onepage/success/. Goal is reached. It shows it in Real-time view in Conversions tab. It also shows event, but still no data in Custom dashboard, even if I wait a day, it keeps showing "There is no data for this view." message.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Ernest G if I read your images correctly this cannot be done by widget filters but rather using segments.

So just do a widget with goal XX completions.

Create 2 segments (sequence probably or just custom) where you will define 1) the page where this event triggers and 2) has event variation a (with popup) and a 2nd segment with variation b (without popup).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ernest,

I can see the data being sent to your GA. 

Can you share your ga (read only access to suradha@gmail.com) . I tried to replicate the same on my clients account and I can see the data .

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately this solution won't be very helpful because I can not follow performance for different popups, it would give me only data for popup vs no popup. If I want to see performance between different popups I need to use dimension inside widget and not inside entire dashboard. So there is no solution to track goal completions by event label?

It is very weird because I can track Transactions by event label (using event as dimension inside widget and transaction as metric). I can also track goals by browser. But as soon I use event as dimension inside widget and goal as metric, it won't display data.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Suradha PSura thank you for offering your help. I just sent you access.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ernest,

Got it, its because the goal is configured to use landing page as goal, to achieve your dashboard try creating an event on transaction confirmation page and configure that as a Goal. Then if you apply the same dashboard you will be able to see. I cross checked with my client's account and my goal was configured using event. Sorry for the confusion Smiley Happy. hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sura