Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal URL missing randomly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have setup a goal using regex. It is missing some target URLs randomly. I tried it on chrome, firefox, opera and safari; tried while user logged-in and without; tried incognito mode; tried with delay and without delay but results are same. If i perform some steps once, it gets miss, then try same steps again, it gets hit, then try same steps yet again, it gets miss again. The order could be any. Hit and miss URLs have no difference other than unique IDs. Point is goals are missing randomly. A colleague of mine said its how GA works but i cannot buy it.

Can anyone explain whats going on?

My regex is:
(.*)/cleaning\-maid\-services/(.*)confirmation(.*)booking=1

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal URL missing randomly

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Are you clearing your cookies and cache each time after you test?
A goal will only register once as a conversion during the same session.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am trying incognito, won't that take care of it?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Ali,

Chrome incognito does set cookies that are shared by all open incognito sessions and purged on close, so make sure that you close ALL chrome incognito windows before testing again as Bronwyn is exactly correct, only one goal conversion per session.

If you want to check to see if goals are working as desired you can compare goal completions to unique pageviews in the content reports. These two numbers should be pretty close with some variation.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Theo,

Thanks for detailed reply. Yes i opened one incognito window at a time. That is for the testing ofcourse. The real issue is on Prod where data is showing up in my application but not on GA. Not all of it is missing but some. There is very little chance that different users will have same sessions in Production.

I checked the unique pageviews using same filter i am using for Goal URLs. Page views and unique page views is showing 30 while Goal URLs count to 19.

Really appreciate all the help.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Ali,

If your goal URLs are defined properly (e.g always contain =1), you will get conversions as you expect and GA will not "miss them".

Another thing to mention is that some incognito modes (can't recall if it is Firefox or Safari) are now blocking GA by default.

The behavior you describe (unique PV's vs goal completions with same filter) is not expected and I would let some data populate and look at the content reports again.

Good luck!

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn