Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Template Set Up Option Not Availabe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello-

I have four different websites, but only two of these sites are tracking their organic search transactions, revenue, and of course the e-commerce conversion rate. I am unsure why the other two websites are not tracking organic search when they are all set up the same (the enhanced e-commerce feature is enabled for all), but I am seeing one big difference between the sites that are tracking and the two that are not. When I go in to create a new goal for the two websites that are not tracking organic search revenue, I am not given the option to select the kind of Template I wish to use for the goal, so I cannot create a Custom Template. The entire Goal Set Up section is absent from the Admin Goals for my websites that are not getting their organic search data tracked (minus visits and traffic sources). This is a major difference and possibly the reason behind the organic search revenue numbers not displaying for those sites, but I am baffled as to why the Goal Set up and Goal template options are not showing whatsoever in Goals. How can I activate the Goal Set Up so I can select the kind of template I want to track my goals? 

Please let me know if you have further questions for me. This is a major concern and I want to understand why I am seeing 1) Goal Set Up 2) Goal Description and 3) Goal Details for my two websites that are tracking properly versus my two websites that are not tracking organic search revenue at all. 

Danielle

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal Template Set Up Option Not Availabe

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Danielle,

dont worry - that's just an user-permission issue. The Analytics admin has to grant you edit access [1] to these views in order to set up goals.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2884495?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your response. The thing is, I always use the account owner's login credentials, so permissions should not be an issue because she has permission to edit Account, Property, and View. Is the situation with the Organic search revenue not showing directly linked to something within Goals? I am unsure if this is a Goal issue or something else.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Danielle,

that's strange. Basically, there is no direct relation between goal definitions and sources like organic.

Do you see the "New Goal" button in Admin > View > Goals? If so, in new-goal setup you can't use the custom setup? I mean, you don't have to use any template - it's just for convenience. You can set up every goal you want with custom.

You can also use Admin > View > Share Assets in a view with a working goal, share that goal, i.e. make it a goal template and get an import URL for it. Then, you can return to the view you want to have the goal in, and import that goal from the template.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

I do see the New Goal button in Admin>View>Goals, and am able to add a new goal accordingly, but I cannot select the template I wish to use because the Goal Set Up section is completely missing. I am not even given the option to choose or add a custom template.

The only reason why I think this is related to our organic search not tracking is because the other websites that are tracking fine include the Goal Set Up section in our goals - old ones and new ones we have created. That is the only difference between the sites with functioning organic search traffic revenue and the sites that are not tracking revenue from organic search traffic.

I am a little confused by your last comment, though I think it may be helpful. Do you think you can elaborate? I tried to go in and follow your instructions but got confused at 'get an import URL.'

"You can also use Admin > View > Share Assets in a view with a working goal, share that goal, i.e. make it a goal template and get an import URL for it. Then, you can return to the view you want to have the goal in, and import that goal from the template."

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Danielle

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Danielle,

my last point just was that generally you may also copy existing goals. Like custom segments or custom reports existing goals are assets than can be shared - for example with yourself in another Analytics view. So go into an Anaytics view with an existing goal you might want to copy. You find that goal in Admin>View>Share Assets. Search for the goal you want to copy, select it, and click the share button. Here select template link and press Share. You'll get an URL that you may use. Copy it into your browser URL field. Select the Analytics view you want to import that goal. In this way, an existing goal may always serve as a goal template.

If it still doesn't work - maybe you've reached already the maximum number of 20 goals per view?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you again, Christoph!

You are right, this did not work because we have 34 goals total. When I attempted to share a goal in Share Assets, I was not given a Template Link before I could share the Goal. So again, I was not able to select a template. Does that make sense?

I would imagine I should begin removing Goals that no longer serve a significant purpose...what else do you recommend?

Thank you again,
Danielle

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi,

it's 20 goals max. per view. You can't add a further one in that case. Actually, you can't remove any existing goal in Analytics. A workaround for that is to reuse a goal, that is to change a goal's definition and name. Or to start from scratch with a completely new (empty) view.

Generally, you should restrict the number of goals to a handful. For example, you should combine similar goals in one. Mostly, this is done by using wildcards (regular expressions) in defining goals.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Danielle,

Have you find a solution? I have the same problem that for some of my sites, missing the Goal Set Up option. And the events set up for those sites are not displaying as conversions.

Thanks,
Livia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Daneille,

Not sure if you have solved the problem. Just found the reason of missing the goal setup template option in my case, you need to choose an industry for the website at property settings. Once it's done, you can choose template while setting up a goal. Hope it helps.

Livia