5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Goal Funnel has optional steps which are not getting tracked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a Goal for Placing an order. The Goal completions are being tracked correctly. I just added a funnel to the goal and the completions and the funnel conversion rate is not matching.

Goal steps are as follows; 

View Order (required step)

Select TimeSlot

Select Address

Select PromoCode

Select Payment Option

Attaching screenshots of the funnel

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 1.55.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-12 at 1.56.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-12 at 1.56.25 AM.png

What am I missing here? How do I work with optional steps?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
With goal funnels, if the first step is checked as being required then only the visitors that complete that first step will show as a funnel conversion. This only affects the goal funnel report.
Other goal reports will track as show goal conversions as usual.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for replying. There is no way for the goal to be completed without the first step so I'm quite sure I'm not missing out on goal conversions because of that. I have a step "Select PromoCode" which is optional, but defined in the funnel. But it shows users as having exited on that step "/virtual/select-promocode" Not sure why it shows that.

Re: Goal Funnel has optional steps which are not getting tracked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the same problem, can someone please address?

Pasted_Image_9_13_17__10_26_AM.png

Experts in the Topic
Bronwyn V