AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Funnel Looks Wrong

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to setup a goal where I can track a visitors progress through a form on our site. The form pages are across multiple URLs and my setup currently looks like thisAnd the results look like this.

As you can see, there is 100% conversion between some of the pages, which looks wrong. And exits from the "account" page should be tracked on the later stages. Does anyone know what have I done wrong in my setup?

Thanks in advance, 

Paul

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Goal Funnel Looks Wrong

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi,

as like numerous times before the Google documentation fails to explain the basics how stuff works. I could only find this Lunametrics post:
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/10/21/goals-funnels-confusion-google-analytics/
Under 3rd image
"The funnel itself, even though we’ve clicked the first step being required, doesn’t matter at all to the goal completion itself. All that matters is “Did the user hit the URL Destination page listed?” That’s it."

It is logical (like Spock would say, yes Smiley Happy) since Funnel reports are just reports, they cannot act as filters since we might have several funnels.
Actually this might say it after all in the google documentation (restores some faith, but it is buried in the middle though... Required 1st step):
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313

"The required first step applies only to the Funnel Visualization report. When you mark a first step as required, the Funnel Visualization report only includes goal conversions that pass through that required step. Other sessions are just dropped from the report.

If you see a conversion rate in other reports but a zero conversion rate in the Funnel Visualization report, this indicates that the required step wasn't viewed during sessions that converted."

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul, how are things?

If I've got everything right, your form have multiple steps, and each step at one page, is that correct?

If that's the case, you should turn the "Required" button to ON at your funnel. That way your conversion will only count if the user have followed through the entire process. When you have this turned off, it can create a big mess of information.

Also, make sure that the "/Application/Stage2" at the "Destination field" is the last step that the user sees, sort of a "Thank You" page when they buy something.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, your understanding is correct.

I thought about turning this on, however, we have automated emails that prompt people to finish their application and links in the emails take them to a page half way through the funnel. So in this case, would those completed applications not be tracked because they didn't go through the first step during that session?

To confirm, the "/Application/Stage2" page is our final page.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hummm that's a good question. I'm not totally certain but I'd say there's a lot of risk of you loosing conversions by sending the users to the middle of the process by e-mail.

In this case I'd create a Goal specifically for the user redirected from the e-mail, when the funnel starts over the middle steps. Don't think you will be able to track everything with just one goal in this case.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When I posted this question I thought the solution would have something to do with regular expression (which I don't really understand). I thought it might just be that my urls are set up incorrectly and just need the right characters?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

just to make sure there are no misunderstandings: Required step affects ONLY to the funnel visualization report, actual conversion will be counted regardless the Required setting.
Here is some good material (it's comparison of two visualization reports but explains in detail how things are calculated in funnel visualization)

To Paul's question... I think the Backfilling section applies.
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, I'll turn on the required option and see if this makes a difference?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi,

when you turn the required option you can see those conversions that went through those required steps. I don't know how valuable that is to you since you can only see that one part.
Google Analytics fine as it is is sometimes looking things in very simple way while most of the visitors are not in the manner of behavior at least.

To see if users are dropping out and understand better how users behave, I suggest you try the Goal Flow report that is kind of 'Funnel Visualisation 2'
If you want to keep with the Funnel Visualisation I noticed a potential problem from your screenshots:
If you define the Goal using Regular Expressions it means that GA assumes the rest of the funnel URLs to be regular expressions too.
In your case I don't see any need for RegExp so set the value for Begins with (if there are parameters after actual URL) or Equals to (If theres just the URL) in the Destination
--

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Antti N That's very interesting point. Just to get everything clear: So if I have a Goal with Destination for "thankyou.html" with Required funnel on with a few steps, every user reaching that destination page will still count as goals, even if they didn't follow the funnel path? The funnel would then be something like: "just to see from the total goals, the amount of users that followed the path"?

If that's the case, can you point some article where that's clarified? It would be of great help inside some companies.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi,

as like numerous times before the Google documentation fails to explain the basics how stuff works. I could only find this Lunametrics post:
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/10/21/goals-funnels-confusion-google-analytics/
Under 3rd image
"The funnel itself, even though we’ve clicked the first step being required, doesn’t matter at all to the goal completion itself. All that matters is “Did the user hit the URL Destination page listed?” That’s it."

It is logical (like Spock would say, yes Smiley Happy) since Funnel reports are just reports, they cannot act as filters since we might have several funnels.
Actually this might say it after all in the google documentation (restores some faith, but it is buried in the middle though... Required 1st step):

"The required first step applies only to the Funnel Visualization report. When you mark a first step as required, the Funnel Visualization report only includes goal conversions that pass through that required step. Other sessions are just dropped from the report.

If you see a conversion rate in other reports but a zero conversion rate in the Funnel Visualization report, this indicates that the required step wasn't viewed during sessions that converted."

--