Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Conversions being counted 4 times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I keep having this issue given that I set everything up as usual. I'm using a couple of Clickfunnels pages for my funnel, but even using CF I haven't had this problem before for any of my past campaigns.

Is there any reason from your past experience why 1 goal would be counted 4 times?

Here is a screenshot from GA: http://imgur.com/3fZSHP8

If anyone could help with this that would be awesome! Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello @Marketing

The only reason your goals are being counted 4 times would either be due to implementing the GA code 4 times on the page (either a duplication or using GTM and GA directly) or you have added a goal that counts the same user action as a conversion so that 4 different goals are triggered by one user's behavior.

I hope that helps!

Nick

Re: Goal Conversions being counted 4 times

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, @Marketing, as @Nick C mentioned, one possibility is that you have the tracking code implemented multiple times, leading to multiple and identical conversions. It also looks like your goals are converting the same number of times (maybe I'm wrong about this), but if you notice this happening, then what could be happening is that your different goals all have the same destination, so they all convert at the same time.

Lastly, I noticed that you are collecting email address. This is against Google's privacy policies and terms of use. You should prevent the email from being appended to your page paths.

You can read more about GA's privacy policies here:

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/key-terms/#toc-terms-personal-info

https://www.google.ca/analytics/terms/us.html (section 7)

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Nick,

The end thank you page is the same across every funnel, but we have the first step required, which are all different sub domains. Wouldn't this fix the problem of having the same thank you page? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If the tracking code isn't the problem, what is the best way to set up a goal so that it does not track duplicate results? 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi, mark e,

For destination goals, the goal completions are only based on whether the destination page was reached - regardless of how the funnel is set up, and whether you require the first step. This is because the two are in some ways unrelated. The funnel setup allows you to populate the funnel visualisation data. You can overcome the identical conversions by either using virtual pageviews, or by adding a query parameter to the unique conversion flows. I recently did this for a client where they had about 10 different goals, but all had the same destination page. I had to work around the identical conversions by deploying virtual pageviews so that each goal conversion was unique to the others.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Nick Y, are virtual pageviews a regular function on analytics? How would we go about setting that up? 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi, mark e,

Virtual pageviews are not exactly regular functions in GA, but it's just another novel way of setting the page path for particular pages, whether they're pages that have an actual URL, or even modal windows. You achieve a VPV (Virtual Page View) but setting the "page" parameter when you send in a GA hit (ie. pageview, event, transaction). You can find more information here, https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages. In GTM, you would do this by setting the "page" field.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Nick Y,

Again thank you for being so responsive, you are a real help.

Are you referring to the tag firing options on GTM?  Ideally this would be fixed through GTM without having to hard code anything.