AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Conversion As A Result Of CTA Being Clicked (Event)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

Looking for some help on using Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics...

We have a bunch of CTA's on our site so I've tagged clicks as events on GTM and that's all working fine and showing up in the Events report on GA.

Where I'm having an issue is getting our existing goal to be attributed to a CTA click. So when I head into landing page report and add a second dimension of event category/label/action it won't display any goal completions.

Our existing goal fires after anyone has requested a quote from our website.

Everything online is about setting up goals for events now someone clicking on a CTA isn't a goal completion for us so that solution doesn't work.

The customer journey would be

User visits page > clicks on one of several CTA's (the event) > lands on quote form > fills out quote form > lands on results page (the goal completion) 

Any help would be amazing as I'm totally lost with this one!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Rhydian B,

The reason that you don't see any goal completion on landing page report with event category/label/action is because of scope mismatch. Landing page is a session scope dimension and event category/label/action is hit scope. When you use them together Google Analytics will not warn you but you will have problems (like displaying 0 conversion rate or goal completion).

I suggest you to implement 2 events (1 for CTA click and 1 for your quote form submission) and you can set your goal as event type that checks for your quote form submission. With this way you can know how many people intended to send a form and how many actually submitted the form.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Güney K, thanks for this good to know its not possible.

I'll try setting up a new event and see how this effects our reporting. The problem is the goal we have set up is a historic one so very important for YoY reporting.