AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Completions in Dynamically Generated URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I have set up a contact form submission as a Goal in Google Analytics and used /contact-us/thank-you/ as a Regular Expression, but when looking at the data in the GA interface is showing some discrepancies. Well, at least it doesn't make sense to me that a variable URL that is automatically generated end up having several goal completions. Shouldn't be unique? based on a randomly generated ID parameter? 

Could anyone shed some light in here, please? I don't think GA is tracking properly my form submissions.

Thanks in advance, 

Javier

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

It can happen that a user reloads the thank you page in a new session (goal completions are counted only once per session), that would explain multiple goal completions with the same unique ID. Please check under Behavior -> Site Content -> All pages how many unique pageviews the URL has.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your quick reply Arnold, 

I cross checked what you suggest to do. The number of goal completions is the same as unique views for that particular URL. Therefore, should I assume that the user has reload the thank you page in a new session? What would he do that? Isn't that a bug?

Thanks for your contribution, any other suggestion guys?