Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Getting the Most Accurate Data from Goal URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a goal set up that I'm using REGEX to split between two different destination pages. One is general and one is for a free PDF giveaway. 

When I check the free giveaway results, I add the Secondary dimension: Goal Previous Step - 1 so I can see what page those sign ups are coming from. 

In this new column, I see (entrance). Should I count these as new sign ups, or are these people just hitting the destination page? If so, why are they showing in this report since it's supposed to show the previous step? 

I just want to get the most accurate data. 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting the Most Accurate Data from Goal URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kenny,

for this kind of situation I would use Goal Completion Location dimension in the reports as it will show you the URL where the Goal was completed so you can differentiate between the 2 URLs you currently have set up.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin, thanks for your reply.

I do use the Goal Completion Location dimension, then I add the Secondary dimension: Goal Previous Step - 1, so I can see where those conversions are coming from. I'm just wondering what exactly the Goal Previous Step - 1 of (entrance) is and why it's being shown here. Should I subtract those from my total to get more accurate data?

Here's a screenshot for more info:

analytics-goals-previous.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Kenny,

"(entrance)" as a previous goal step can result for different reasons:
1. As it is a newsletter sign up, may I ask: Is this a "double opt in sign up goal"? I mean the link you have to click when receiving the email (i.e. double opt in), not the previous sign in of the newsletter (click on send button or thank you page)? If yes: Users sometimes confirm the double opt in from an other device or out of the session (normally later than 30 min). Those users will be count as a new session with "(entrance)" as a previous step.
2. The previous step is another domain and that domain is not in the referral exclusion list. This can happens, if e.g. a payment takes places on another domain.

Maybe there are some other reasons for the "(entrance)". But I would not substract those goals, because they took place.

Bye. Nils.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nils v, thanks for responding.

1. It is not a double optin, so when they sign up, they go directly to the thank you page, which is the goal completion location.
2. None of these "content upgrades" are on a different domain. They are all on inner pages of the same domain.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kenny,

ok. (entrance) means that the session began at the step, so I have two more ideas:
1. Is there any possibility that the users are able to start the session, enter your website, on the page which is your goal page (e.g. via organic search)?
2. Users stay on a site where they are able to register for the newsletter longer as the session duration (normally 30 min). Then they typ in their email adress and click the "register button". This would be a new session with (entrance) as a previous step. I don't see No 2 as likely especially when I see 12 goals in your screenshot, but it could be responsible for a few conversions.

But, to be honest, I don't have any other ideas, sorry.

Bye. Nils.