Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Getting an extra step in the funnel visualization

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi , 

I am new to GA and have got a wierd situation. I have created a funnel of 3 stages:

-> visitor saw the offer page, so if he accepts then he goes to the checkout page and when he fills the details then he can go to the confirmation page (he can also close the page at this stage). 

But when i view the funnel , i am getting 4 stages. I am not able to figure out why i am getting the third stage and and where i am loosing 10 users.

below is the funnel visualization:

funnel.pngfunnelfunnel visualization.PNGfunnel visualization

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rohini D
April 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rohini,

Thanks for the screenshots. This kind of "blank step" sometimes appears in your funnel when you edit an existing funnel and add/remove an intermediary step. If so, please check and let me know what you changed.

In such cases, if your selected reporting period in Google Analytics spans the period both before and after the change, this additional step appears with no name in your funnel visualization report, because it has data to report from part of the period, but you no longer have that step in your funnel.

If you haven't made any changes to your goal funnel, please check your "Reverse Goal Path" report and let me know if you see any abnormalities there.

Regards,

KK

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You didn't attached any image/screenshot.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Did you by any chance include the goal destination page (the confirmation page) in the funnel steps as well? If so, remove it and you'll see just the three steps in your funnel visualization.

Let me know how it goes.

KK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just updated the post with the pictures. I haven't added the confirmation page in the funnel.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Apologies.. I just updated the post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rohini D
April 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rohini,

Thanks for the screenshots. This kind of "blank step" sometimes appears in your funnel when you edit an existing funnel and add/remove an intermediary step. If so, please check and let me know what you changed.

In such cases, if your selected reporting period in Google Analytics spans the period both before and after the change, this additional step appears with no name in your funnel visualization report, because it has data to report from part of the period, but you no longer have that step in your funnel.

If you haven't made any changes to your goal funnel, please check your "Reverse Goal Path" report and let me know if you see any abnormalities there.

Regards,

KK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Karthik,

i actually changed the funnel definition, initially the destination page was kept in the funnel step too. Now when i see the data for last two days then I am getting 3 only steps( as it should be now). 

I am not getting anything in the reverse funnel. Also, is there a way i can correct the funnel, I mean just remove the extra step for the last days otherwise i will lose the data for previous week.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rohini,

Thanks for the clarification. If it was the destination page that you had kept in the funnel step previously, we need to make sure that this was the cause of the issue.

What data do you get when you choose the reporting period before the change, and what do you get when you choose the period after?

I'm imagining that you'll get 10 in the third step and 0 in the fourth for the "before" period, and that you get 1 in the third step and 1 in the fourth for the "after" period.

As for your question about correcting the previous funnel data, no it can't be done. Once the data is processed by GA, it can't be undone, so you have to go with the data after the correction. For this reason, experts always recommend creating "Test View" in your GA for testing configurations.

Regards,

KK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the "before period" i get to see that 10 people leaving in the third step but in the "after period" ,since I changed the definition a day before so i am seeing different data.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That makes sense, Rohini. Hope all your questions were answered.