3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Get a 404 Error whenever I open the link from a landin gpage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I click on Aquisition > All Traffic > Channels > then select Direct I get a list of URLs of Landing Pages that people reached directly. However when I click on the little expansion box next to the URL name to view the webpage I keep getting a 404 error.

We updated our website 2 months ago, so I'm wondering if the error is becuase the URL names of the webpages have changed on our website? (I didn't use it before the website was updated though so I have no way of knowing if it worked before or not)

What do I need to change or update so that when I open the landing page URLs I do not get a 404 error?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer M
April

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jennifer,

Have you by any chance given the website's URL as "www.aowinery.com/wines" in your GA's View Settings? If so, try changing it to just "www.aowinery.com".

If the URLs in your reports show URL path names like "/page" but opens up "/www.aowinery.com/wines/page" when clicking, this could be the cause of the issue.

[Edit: Attaching a screenshot of the field I'm talking about, just in case]

view settings GA.png

KK

View solution in original post

All Replies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Usually when updating a website, if page urls are being changed, then a 301 permanent redirect for the old page url would be created and added to the site's .htaccess file to redirect it to the new page url.

Are you sure they were pages that existed on the website previously?
Have you checked the Audience > Technology  > Network > Hostname report to see if any

domain names apart from your site are appearing in there?

Welcome to Analytics Solutions Click here to read the Community Guidelines:

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jennifer,

Please clarify a few things:

1. Do you face the 404 issue in your current reports (past 30 days, etc. - in other words, for the duration well after your website changes)?

2. Do you face the 404 issue only in your landing pages report or in other reports as well (All pages, exit pages, etc.)?

3. How do the page URLs look in your reports - full URL with the domain name (www.example.com/path/page.html) or just the URL path (/path/page.html)?

Regards,

KK

Re: Get a 404 Error whenever I open the link from a landin gpage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

1. Yes, its in the current reports.

2. I'm seeing the 404 issue on other pages as well. Exit pages, next page, etc.

3. In the reports, its just the URL path (if I click on the expansion box it includes the domain name), /page

It doesn't include .html though.

Thank you for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

1. Yes, its in the current reports.

2. I'm seeing the 404 issue on other pages as well. Exit pages, next page, etc.

3. In the reports, its just the URL path (if I click on the expansion box it includes the domain name), /page

It doesn't include .html though.

Thank you for your help!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the clarifications.

I'm assuming that the reporting period you chose is after the website's URL changes, and doesn't include even a single day before the change. In that case, you shouldn't be getting 404 errors when clicking on the expansion box.

The only possibility I could think of is that you're clicking on a URL that belongs to one of your sub-domains (subdomain.website.com/page - actual URL) and not your main domain (www.website.com/page - a non-existent URL, but this is what GA opens up).

If this is not the case, I'm mostly at a loss. Would you be able to send a screenshot of the problematic report? I'm not sure what I expect to see there, but so far I don't have much clues.

And here are some tests you could carry out:

1. Select a period in your GA that was before you made any URL changes to your website and look at the page reports (no overlapping with the period after the change). Are they the same URLs that you're seeing in your reports for the current period?

2. Select a very recent period in your GA that is after you made the changes (again, no overlapping with the "before" period). Do you see any old URLs, or are all of them updated URLs?

3. Are you able to access the same pages in any other way in your browser (by navigating through your website, or by typing in the URLs manually in your browser's address bar)? In other words, do the URLs you see in your GA reports actually exist in your website (either now or in the past)?

4. Do you face this problem with 100% of the URLs in your reports, or with only a part of them?

Sorry if I ask too many questions. Smiley Happy

KK

Re: Get a 404 Error whenever I open the link from a landin gpage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I followed your tests!

Here is what I found:

1 & 2. It seems the URLs are the same old URLs regardless of whether I look at before or after the time period the website changed.

3. These pages don't actually exist anymore.

4. Yes, it seems 100% of the URLs in the report have this problem!

I know that people must be able to access our website, because sales are still coming through.

One thing I noticed is that the URL that pops up is never the home page. Our home page should bring up the URL "www.aowinery.com".

However, ALL of the URLs, even those that are coming from a direct search for a different page, are coming up as "www.aowinery.com/wines/page".

To give you some insight, our old wine shop was "www.aowinery.com/wines" now it is "www.aowinery.com/wine-shop"

But now, if someone does a direct search for  the wine shop its bringing up this URL "http://www.aowinery.com/Wines/Wine-Shop"

It looks like ALL of the URLs are being directed through "www.aowinery.com/wines" instead of "www.aowinery.com"

Could this be the problem? What is going on? How can we fix this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I followed your tests!

Here is what I found:

1 & 2. It seems the URLs are the same old URLs regardless of whether I look at before or after the time period the website changed.

3. These pages don't actually exist anymore.

4. Yes, it seems 100% of the URLs in the report have this problem!

I know that people must be able to access our website, because sales are still coming through.

One thing I noticed is that the URL that pops up is never the home page. Our home page should bring up the URL "www.aowinery.com".

However, ALL of the URLs, even those that are coming from a direct search for a different page, are coming up as "www.aowinery.com/wines/page".

To give you some insight, our old wine shop was "www.aowinery.com/wines" now it is "www.aowinery.com/wine-shop"

But now, if someone does a direct search for  the wine shop its bringing up this URL "http://www.aowinery.com/Wines/Wine-Shop"

It looks like ALL of the URLs are being directed through "www.aowinery.com/wines" instead of "www.aowinery.com"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using the Hostname report it looks like all of the domain names are from our site.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer M
April

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jennifer,

Have you by any chance given the website's URL as "www.aowinery.com/wines" in your GA's View Settings? If so, try changing it to just "www.aowinery.com".

If the URLs in your reports show URL path names like "/page" but opens up "/www.aowinery.com/wines/page" when clicking, this could be the cause of the issue.

[Edit: Attaching a screenshot of the field I'm talking about, just in case]

view settings GA.png

KK

Experts in the Topic
Bronwyn V