Analytics
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

GA tag for regular eCommerce: CookieDomain set to 'auto' ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

In my crossdomain + subdomain tracking configuration, I've set the cookiedomain to 'auto' in my Google Analytics tag. Ok, that's an easy one. 

But when it comes to the (regular) eCommerce Google Analytics tag in Tag Manager, should I set it to 'auto' too? (You know, the Analytics tag with the Track type = 'Transaction')

Thanks, 

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David TA
October 2016

Re: GA tag for regular eCommerce: CookieDomain set to 'auto' ?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I would say that, by default, yes. Having 'cookieDomain' : 'auto' setting on in all tags ensures that the same Client ID is used everywhere across your subdomains.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 03.40.26.png

Actually, as long as one tag (for example your pageview tag) on the page is fired with 'cookieDomain' : 'auto', the Client ID copying mechanism ensures that the same Client ID is accessible across your subdomains. 

So basically, you should still be fine, as long as your pageview tag fires on every single page as well.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David TA
October 2016

Re: GA tag for regular eCommerce: CookieDomain set to 'auto' ?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I would say that, by default, yes. Having 'cookieDomain' : 'auto' setting on in all tags ensures that the same Client ID is used everywhere across your subdomains.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 03.40.26.png

Actually, as long as one tag (for example your pageview tag) on the page is fired with 'cookieDomain' : 'auto', the Client ID copying mechanism ensures that the same Client ID is accessible across your subdomains. 

So basically, you should still be fine, as long as your pageview tag fires on every single page as well.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply, Taavi. And you helped me put my thoughts in order!

So it was for subdomain tracking. But what about cross domain tracking? 

Should I set autoLink and allowLinker fields in my eCommerce Analytics tag the same way I set them in my pageview tag? 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

That's great.

Here you can read more about the cross-domain tracking and enhanced e-commerce and you'll find the answer:

1) https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951

2) https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Code/Enhanced-Ecommerce-Creating-Invalid-...

3) http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/

Hope this helps.

Taavi