AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

GA showing more sessions than display ad clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!  Looking for some guidance.  In the past several months I'm noticing GA tracking more sessions compared to display ad clicks being reported by our ad server/exchanges.  For example we'll show 200 display ad clicks, but GA will record sometimes 2x as many sessions through the UTM tag we created.  Any idea why?  Perhaps GA is giving the display ad click credit for not only the first visit, but the return visit as well?

1 Expert replyverified_user

GA showing more sessions than display ad clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Russ, 

Sessions are not clicks and clicks are not sessions. A click is simply someone clicking on your ad which will forward to what i assume is your domain. 

Note:  A user can 'bounce' early before a Google Analytics code is loaded and a session won't be counted. More on this here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588315 

Keep in a click can lead to multiple sessions. A session can end and another begins after a period of inactivity, midnight passes, they are referred back to the website under a new campaign. 

To partially mitigate this issue you can expand the duration of a session to more than the default 30 minutes. 

To learn more about the difference between clicks & sessions check out this useful article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588315

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’