Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

GA Goals Not Reporting as Expected.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a few pointers as my GA goals are not behaving as expected in my custom reporting.

I have a series of Goals firing off events successfully.
I have a custom report listing some key metrics alongside the goal completions for each goal for a set of landing page URL's.

This configuration is not proving accurate because it is attributing a single goal event to multiple landing pages in each goal attributed session.

I would have thought changing the dimension in my custom report from 'Landing Page' to 'Page' would fix this problem by only attributing goal completions to the page on which they occur. However, when I do this, all the goal completions drop to 0.

How do I go about only getting goal completions on each of my chosen pages into a custom report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jayden L
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Jayden L

Goal Completions are recorded per Landing Page because both are session level. So yes, the landing page will show goal completions, if goals were completed within the same session where that page was the landing page regardless of where the goal was completed.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to combine the Landing Page and Goal Completion Location in custom reports because of their different scopes.

An alternative approach is to use the standard Reverse Goal Path report and combine it with a segment. First, select the goal you want to examine in that report. Then create a new segment that includes sessions where Landing Page equals one or more specific landing pages.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Jayden L

The reason your goal completions show '0' when setting the dimension to Page is that goals are session level metrics and Page is hit level dimension. Landing Page is a session level dimension so to speak, so this will allow you to use it in combination with goal completions and goal conversion rate.

I'm not quite understanding your issue with the configuration "not proving accurate because it is attributing a single goal event to multiple landing pages in each goal attributed session". Is the event (which your goal is based on) fired on each individual page? Note that any given goal can only be recorded once per session. So if a user triggers an event twice two different places (or the same place), only one goal is recorded during the session.

You'll get a better answer if you can describe your setup more detailed. Where do people arrive on your site, what event is triggered where, and how is your goal configured?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the Reply @Phillip S. The Hit/Session explanation makes sense.

In this case the goal being completed is a customer address check to see if they qualify for a service.

In my custom reports, goal completions were are being recorded on landing pages where an address check should not be possible.
(i.e. Address check completions for the homepage are not zero, despite there being no address check tools on the homepage.)

I assume this is happening because the report is basically saying
"X customers who completed the address check goal also visited these landing pages in their session."

In which case, my question then is, how do you list Goal Completion Location in custom reports?
i.e. Landing Pages X,Y,Z are solely responsible for A,B,C Address check events.

I hope that provides additional clarification, thanks for your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jayden L
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Jayden L

Goal Completions are recorded per Landing Page because both are session level. So yes, the landing page will show goal completions, if goals were completed within the same session where that page was the landing page regardless of where the goal was completed.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to combine the Landing Page and Goal Completion Location in custom reports because of their different scopes.

An alternative approach is to use the standard Reverse Goal Path report and combine it with a segment. First, select the goal you want to examine in that report. Then create a new segment that includes sessions where Landing Page equals one or more specific landing pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Phillip S, that sounds like the direction we need to go!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phillip,

Id have a similar question. I created a new goal in the Admin tab, but when I go to the Reporting tab, and check the Goals URL, I cannot see my new goal url..

What can I do to see my new goal in the "Goal Completion Location"?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Julia