Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

GA Analytics Tracking multipurpose button

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey People, 

I am facing a weird problem for one of my clients, on conversion tracking. 

In the checkout page - there is a button "PLACE AN ORDER" that is for placing an order - which is to be used to track the commerce/business conversion, 

But the problem is - once a customer places an order (where he chooses a package) he is diverted to a new page where he can choose his order components (contents of the package - NOTE: Different URL) and once he chooses the same, the website redirects to the /checkout page and he again clicks the same "PLACE AN ORDER" button and confirms the order details. 

If I keep event based/button based tracking it gives a lot of duplicates, I just want to track only that event where the button is pressed for the commercial transaction and not for the order details transaction.

NOTE: duplicates is not always two, based on the overall package the sub-orders/components can be added multiple time or even edited at a later point in time. 

Thanks in Advance.

Re: GA Analytics Tracking multipurpose button

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
If there is no way to identify from html source code of the button / page url , you can ask the web dev. team to call a functions that you define to trigger ecommerce tracking.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
hi

Track button clicks and add exception that block tracking button clicks to external URL.

hope this helps Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand as external URL as the new page URL it lands. I think I want to try this solution up.

Where is this to be done using tag manager or GA??

I hope this goal will be communicable to Google Adwords?

Thanks.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey narend,

sorry for the late reply

the other method would be to add a rule to your click trigger to fire only when the referrer (GTM Auto variable) matches order components page (contents of the package)
https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106899?hl=en

Here is a bit more info if you want to learn about GTM Triggers
https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106961?hl=en

if my answer helped you let me know by giving a star Smiley Happy
Cheers
Noman