AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Funnels and Goals: 1 goal or multiple?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! We have 6 request-a-quote (RAQ) forms on our website, all starting from the same main RAQ page, and all funneled to the same request-a-quote/thank-you Thank You page. I'd like to see how people interact with each RAQ form, as each form is broken into 2-3 pages. 

My question: should I set up multiple goals and funnels, or just the one goal in Google Analytics?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darragh G
May 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Darragh,

If you have the 6 thank you pages, you can either set a combined goal with regex or do the 6 unique.   If it were me, I'd do the 6 unique at this point to help you understand user behavior/interest between the services.  In regards to the forms, in GA , to see looping for fields (and not just pages) you can use the virtual pageview method I mentioned previously. 

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Darragh,

In order to do multiple goals, you'd need a way to differentiate the goal URL, a parameter may help  e.g. thank-you?service=widgets.  I would not do separate goals unless each submission had different values.  That is, widgets =$40  and blue widgets = $100.

With one goal you can use the reverse goal path report to see where they originated.  If your forms are 2-3 pages then that reverse goal path report becomes fragile so I'd consider the parameter path or set a custom dimension for the origin page. Either way, you'll preserve the origin with the param method the most obvious in reports.

Lastly I would consider setting up a view to monitor the form field process, basically the idea is to fire virtual pageviews each time the field is validated and then set up a goal and each field and the funnel steps, this would give you a nice visual in the goal flow report to see where users are dropping out.  If you do this, you'll want to filter these virtual pageviews from your main analysis views and include them in the duplicate view.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thank you very much for the helpful advice. I've gone ahead and created 6 unique Thank You pages with unique URIs for each of the 6 request-a-quote forms. We are a B2B services company, so we don't sell products with a set value on our website. Eventually, I plan on assigning a value to each of the thank you pages, based on closed business resulting from these forms. Each of these request-a-quote forms are our macro conversions. The reason they are multi-page is so that we can view user behavior and optimize (looping from page 3 to page 2, high drop-off on page 3, etc.). With that information, do you think I should set up a goal for each one of these forms?

Thank you,

Darragh

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darragh G
May 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Darragh,

If you have the 6 thank you pages, you can either set a combined goal with regex or do the 6 unique.   If it were me, I'd do the 6 unique at this point to help you understand user behavior/interest between the services.  In regards to the forms, in GA , to see looping for fields (and not just pages) you can use the virtual pageview method I mentioned previously. 

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much Theo, I really appreciate your help!

Regards,

Darragh