Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Funnel using regular expression not working correctly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I have set up 3 goals each with a required funnel step which is the landing page through Google Adwords.  Unfortunately every visit is currently returning a conversion.

In the attached screen grab you will see that in the Destination field I have added every subsequent page URL that the landing page is setup to send users to - these are:

/|/classes/|/weekend-courses/|/special-events/|/in-depth-study-programmes/|/meditation-retreats/|/retreats/

The first '/' represents the homepage and the remaining pages are other pages that the user is directed towards e.g. '/classes/'.

The Landing page in this instance is /local-free-book-mindfulness-training-and-meditation/ - this is set to noindex in order to avoid duplicate content penalties with other websites that are running this page. 

I have another 2 pages like this and all 3 can lead to one of the destination pages. At the moment, each visit to any of these pages via Google Adwords is recording 3 conversions. Also, visits to other pages not via one of these landing pages is generating conversions.

Any thoughts on how to set the goals up correctly would be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Laurence

Analytics Screen Grab.jpg

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Lorry L

From the Google Analytics documentation: "The required first step applies only to the Funnel Visualization report. When you mark a first step as required, the Funnel Visualization report only includes goal conversions that pass through that required step. Other sessions are just dropped from the report."

This means that goal completions as a whole will be counted regardless of your Required step, since the "Required" flag only affects your Funnel Visualization report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay that's really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain Phillip Smiley Happy Back to the drawing board! All the best, Laurence