Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Funnel Visualization setup with tag manager and non-distinct URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are in the process of setting up GA in a new shopping cart that doesn't have distinct URLs for each step of the checkout. Even the order confirmation is the same URL. I want to make sure we can follow the sales funnel through GA (i.e., setting up a conversion goal and funnel so we can leverage GA's funnel visualization report.)

Our tag manager advised that this can be done two different ways (see below) and I'm trying to determine, which one is best suited for GA tracking purposes and ensures that we can leverage the funnel visualization report feature.  Any advice as to which direction to go?

1.) We can set up specific events on each checkout "step" where you can fire an event action, category, and label associated with that event.

2.) We can set up events on each checkout "step" that will register as "step 1", "step 2", "step 3", etc., etc., and will allow you to view those specific ecommerce steps that are hit by the customer.