AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Funnel Visualisation with Virtual Pageviews

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Community,

We are having this Lead Generation Flow in 3 steps, all under the same URL (the page is not reloaded), which means we had to find a workaround for the Goal Funnel visualisation.

Therefore, on each step of the flow we trigger a Virtual Pageview, under the "Next Button" click event. We see the Virtual Pageview tag being triggered under GTM debug mode.

The Goal Funnel has the following steps setup: 

1. User landed on the Lead Generation Flow

2. User clicks on "Next button - step 1"

3. User clicks on "Next button - step 2"

4. User Clicks on "Submit button - step 3"

Goal - Thank you Page

But when we check the Goal Funnel Visualisation, Steps 2, 3 and 4 (all the Next button clicks) have the same value (100% of the users going from step 2 to 3 and then to 4).

What could be the reason? Is it the use of Virtual Pageviews? 

Thank you in advance,

Iulia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

What are the URLS assigned to each step and how is each step configured in the goal funnel?
Can you pls provide a screenshot of the goal and its step/funnel setup

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Funnel Visualisation with Virtual Pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Please find bellow the Funnel Setup in Analytics.

I have also attached the setup in GTM - the tag for setting up the Virtual Pageviews.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.28.40.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.29.59.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The goal match type being used is regex, this then also applies to all steps in the funnel

atm it is matching all those steps on the /virtualpageview/

If you edit steps 2-4 to include a carat ^ at the beginning of each one and a $ at the end

eg ^/virtualpageview/step1$

then it should treat each one individually.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here