AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Funnel Tracking Setup With 3rd Party Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all! I'm new here.

So we are trying to setup funnel tracking in GA.

This is what the funnel looks like:

1st Page (hosted on our site): Lead Magnet Download Page (Traffic for this page is coming from Facebook Ads)

2nd Page:(hosted on our site)Tripwire Offer Page (Users are taken to this page after downloading our lead magnet PDF)

3rd Page: User is taken to a samcart checkout page off our site if they want to purchase our tripwire offer. 

4th Page: User is taken to a samcart upsell page after purchasing our tripwire offer

5th Page User is taken back to our site (Thank You Page) 

How can I setup funnel visualization in GA? Is it possible to embed a code on our samcart pages that will allow us to track the drop offs on our cart pages? The goal is to get them from the Facebook ad to our thank you page.   

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Funnel Tracking Setup With 3rd Party Site

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Funnel can contain pages from same domain.

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/conversion-funnel-survival-guide/

you can add  samcart domain to referral exclusion list.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

If you exclude referrals from your-site.com, the second arrival to my-site.com does not trigger a new session, and only one session is counted.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lyndon,

a funnel can be set up to track pages on multiple domains. For this to work you need to:
1. Put the GA tracking code for one GA property on all domains / pages which are a part of the process (pages which are not tagged with GA cannot be used in the funnel)
2. Set up cross domain tracking in order to preserve user / session cookie information and original source of traffic

If you cannot add the tracking code on the 3rd party domain then these pages cannot be used as steps in the funnel.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks GA Guru!

I understand how to add the samcart domain to the referral exclusion list. The thing that Im not understanding is what I'm suppose to put in the funnel steps fields for the Samcart checkout steps.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You need not add Samcart page in the funnel step.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Please explain.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Lyndon,

create a funnel with pages on your domain - pages which are present in the Behavior All pages report.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Would you be willing to help me over skype?