Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

For Site Search, how is the Conversion Rate per Search Term calculated

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Google Analytics allows displaying the E-commerce Conversion Rate per Site Search Search Term:

767747f1f992b58d420f8fd246065cecf36f1f1a.png

Unfortunately I could not find any official explanation of how this value is calculated. Some questions that come to my mind:

• Is this per session, so that any user who has in their current session searched for "A" will have their conversion counted towards the search term "A"? Wha if one user has searched in the same session for "A" and "B"?
  • Is there a connection between search results and revenue? So when a user searched for "A", adds one of the search results (f.ex. with a price of 10$) to the basket, then searches for "B", adds one of the search results (f.ex. with a price of 20$) to the basket, and then completes the check out: Will the revenue for "A" be 10$, and for "B" 20$?
  • What if a user searches for "A", looks at an item, bookmarks it, closes the page, a few hours later opens up the bookmarks and then buys the item. Will this count towards the metrics of "A"?

Thank you for your help!

Georg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Georg S
February 2016

Re: For Site Search, how is the Conversion Rate per Search Term calcul

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

By definition 'Site Search Status' : Distinguishes visits that included an internal site search and those that did not.

Visits mean session in GA.

I will try to answer your queries, I may be wrong.

1. For searches A and B, it will get credited to B.

2. With Basic e-commerce implementation, 30$ will be credited to B.

3. Few hours later, session will expire. And the transaction won't be credited to the search term. It would be 'Visits Without Site Search'

Best Regards,
A.T.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Georg S
February 2016

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

By definition 'Site Search Status' : Distinguishes visits that included an internal site search and those that did not.

Visits mean session in GA.

I will try to answer your queries, I may be wrong.

1. For searches A and B, it will get credited to B.

2. With Basic e-commerce implementation, 30$ will be credited to B.

3. Few hours later, session will expire. And the transaction won't be credited to the search term. It would be 'Visits Without Site Search'

Best Regards,
A.T.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi AT,

thanks for your reply!

So to summarize, all values will be credited to the most recent search term?

On a side note, this is a pretty misleading metric - many visitors might search something, are frustrated with the search, then use the category navigation before they buy something. Clearly, the search did not lead to a conversion, but it still counts.

Best regards,
Georg