Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

First landing page of a buyer or goal achieving visitor

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've seen this thread and was trying to check if anything has changed.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Reports/first-visit-landing-page-of-a-returning-visitor/td...

Basically I'm looking for a report that shows visitors who purchased a product alongside their first ever landing page. For example:

- User lands on page A and bounces

- The next day user access site direct via the home page and makes a purchase

On a basic level Analytics says that sale is down to the home page but in reality it was because of page A the day before.

Looking at my User Explorer I can see this happening a great deal but can't see how to extract the data - both for ecommerce and for visitors that hit a defined goal...

Any pointers would be appreciated

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim H
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I figured this out!

Under Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Top Conversion Paths click the Secondary Dimension and select Acquisition > Landing Page URL Path. it looks very messy on screen but download to a spreadsheet and you soon get what you are after.

Full write up on it here: http://link2light.com/blog/do-you-know-where-your-customers-are-really-coming-from/

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

This is a tricky one. Not sure how to solve it without applying custom tracking. One way it might work (haven't tried it) is to pass the GA cookie value into a user-scoped custom dimension. Then, create a custom report (flat table) with three dimensions - this custom dimension, User Type and Landing Page - and related metrics. Export the data and analyse it in Excel to associate users against user type (new or returning) and respective landing pages.

Let me know your thoughts. Hopefully others will jump in and give suggestions.  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It might have to be that way, I just didn't want to re-invent something that was already there and I'd just missed it. I've heard some story about being able to use Google's Big Data/BigQuery system to extract the data from Analytics and then crunch it there. Learning curve ahead I think ....

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Or analytics 360? Would that do it? Thinking about it this is actually a vital metric in understanding user behaviour. I've just looked at a user who found one of my clients site through Google Shopping. Two weeks later he returned to the site direct and made a purchase. Analytics says the source of that purchase is 'direct' but in reality it is PPC....

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

BigQuery is only available in the paid-for version of GA, Analytics 360. If you have access to it, then I'd definitely have a look.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim H
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I figured this out!

Under Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Top Conversion Paths click the Secondary Dimension and select Acquisition > Landing Page URL Path. it looks very messy on screen but download to a spreadsheet and you soon get what you are after.

Full write up on it here: http://link2light.com/blog/do-you-know-where-your-customers-are-really-coming-from/