AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Filter Goals for Unique Users?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey there,

I was just wondering if it is possible to set up a goal that is only triggered once per user (not session)?

As second best option I am wondering if I can filter the goal report by unique users.

Cheers,

Jochen

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jochen,

GA will track any goal only once per session, while events are counted every time (Total Events) or once (Unique Events, as long as category, action & label are the same). This help article provides more details.

If you want a break down by user, you will have to define your own dimension and store the user id in it. I have no clue as to why the user-id dimension isn't exposed at all through the GA interface or the Reporting API - even the new User Explorer only shows the Client Id (which is pretty useless outside of GA) and doesn't allow us to use the user id. More info about collecting the user id is available here. And lastly, Simo Ahava wrote a very complete article explaining how to store the user id in a custom dimension.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stephane, is your first answer still relevant?
Does GA not support setting up goal which is only triggered once per user (not session)?