Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook conversion tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have been trying to find my (at least assisted) conversions from Facebook (since it says there are a few click-through conversions) and not being able to find them.

While researching I have found this article where Jon Loomer states

"Your Google Analytics are only reporting conversions that resulted from a direct referral. Even if you created a campaign using URL parameters to track the link used in your ad, Google only reports those conversions that happened in a straight line:

User Clicked Ad > User Converted "

http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/04/14/facebook-conversion-tracking-google-analytics/

I have always assumed GA can report assisted conversions exactly because it can identify the different sources along the conversion path, am I right and Jon is wrong or have I misunderstood anything? And then why can't I find my Facebook conversions?

Many thanks,

Marcos

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Facebook conversion tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Marcos
He's right but I think you may have misunderstood somewhat.

GA only reports direct conversions (actually, last non-direct conversions) in the standard reports.
If you're looking for assists, you'll need to look in the multi channel reports and the attribution modelling reports. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

You can choose what way you want conversions to be attributed there but please remember, there's NO UNIVERSAL attribution model. This is completely up to the advertiser to determine.

For example, consider both these scenarios.

1) User visits your site for the first time from a Facebook link or ad. The user spends an hour reading your site and enjoying your content. He falls in love with your brand and decides to make a purchase when he's paid next week. He returns a week later by typing your brand name into a Google search, arrives on your site and spends €100,000. Lucky you.

2) A user does a search on Google for what you offer and sees your AdWords ad. He clicks on it and decides to purchase. He goes through the checkout process and notices a coupon code field so he goes to your facebook page to see if you're offering any coupons. He sees a post about a special offer and clicks on it. Unfortunately, it was not the coupon code he was looking for. Oh well, he checks out and spend €100,000 on your site. Again, lucky you.

Now, in the first scenario, I think you'll agree that Facebook should get the majority of the credit for that sale yet organic gets the credit. In the second scenario, I think you'll agree that AdWords deserves most of the credit for that sale, yet Facebook will get it.

This is the problem with attribution and why Google cannot provide a one size fits all model to use. There is no way for Google to know that Facebook deserves more or less credit. It doesn't know what we know in those scenarios above. I've seen many people on this very community get incredibly angry because they want to know how much Facebook contributed and they don't understand why Google wont tell them.

Ultimately, there are only best practices, your domain knowledge and some common sense to go by. Most people will use a variation on the "position based" attribution model and give credit based on where in the attribution chain the referral came.

It's a fascinating but complicated area and if you don't mind me getting personal, it has changed my life. If you can understand it, you'll be much more effective as a marketer and you'll be able to make much smarter decisions. So it's worth investing some time in learning. Avinash Kaushik's blog is the bible when it comes to this stuff so I'd recommend that you visit there.

Hope that gives you some insight.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Apologies for taking so long to reply and thanks for the passionate explanation. I am also a big fan of attribution and that's why I'm trying to find my Facebook assisted conversions on GA in the multi-channel reports but there are none there and all FB ads contain the utm parameters. Any idea why?

Jon Loomer's article is not thorough as he should have explained that it is possible to find the Facebook conversions as assisted conversions on GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Anyone else not finding your assisted conversions from Facebook on the multi-channel reports?

Thanks