Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook Canvas Ads Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Everyone!

Anyone is working with Facebook Canvas ads here? our marketing team is using this kind of advertising and i'm having problems to track it in Analytics.
Normally the number of clicks in standard Facebook ads are reported as sessions in Analytics, but only in the canvas case the sessions reported are much less in analytics, like a 10% of the clicks. Any Ideas what can happen?

Re: Facebook Canvas Ads Tracking

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Evan,

The format (canvas, carousel, links, etc) shouldn't be the cause of your problem. Instead, the objective matters.

Only compare Analytics Sessions with Facebook Results when you select "click to website" as the Facebook campaign objective. If you select other objects, then Facebook Results have other meanings.

Firstly, confirm with your FB Ad manager what objective they use for Results. Literally, there is "Results" and "Reach" metrics but no "Clicks" in Facebook campaign reports.

Let me know if you still have problem.

Marko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Marko,

Thanks for your quick response.

When I compare GA Sessions with Facebook Clicks is always with the "clicks to website", not "all clicks". I know that clicks and Sessions are not exactly the same, but normally the number (in Facebook ads and other kind of ads) is similar and a signal that we are tracking this ads well. As i said, with our "standard" Facebook ads this numbers are good.

Related with results in the Facebook ads manager, We defined two goals ("add to cart" and "purchase"), but i don't see the relation of this goals with the "click to website" metric in the Facebook ads reports.

Thanks again for your help and interest, I hope you can give me some insight about and clarify a little bit more this issue.

Best.

Ivan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ivan - I'm running into the same thing - FB is reporting several canvas link clicks, but I'm not seeing any analytics results (UTM tagged all buttons in the canvas too)

have you had any luck narrowing this down?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Either of you fellows have any luck tracking this? We're interested in utilizing some Canvas ads - but I'm a bit apprehensive as we are unsure if Google Analytics is tracking the traffic in the ad or the clicks through appropriately.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Grant,

Getting some good traction now that you can remarket in Facebook to people who open a Canvas.

First - Clicks in Facebook for Canvas ads are actually an "open" of the canvas - not a click to the site.  There are metrics that let you see duration & % of canvas viewed.

The only way to track this in GA is tag each link with utm tracking.

But you shouldn't be using GA to look at FB data as Facebook and GA use different methods of tracking (GA uses cookies, FB uses user ID and therefore can go across device and view thru etc)

Good luck!