AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

External Website Tracking Without Cross Domain Tracking Enabled

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was recently told that without the use of Cross Domain Tracking I wouldn't be able to see the traffic on our external "shopping cart" website, app.certain.com.

But when I look in GA at Reporting>Behavior>Site Content>All Pages I see app.certain.com urls in there, which I know because they are all formatted as app.certain.com/profile/form/etc..... Does anyone know how I am receiving this information? 

See screenshot. 

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 3.49.55 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: External Website Tracking Without Cross Domain Tracking Enabled

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

Is it possible that the shopping cart is being tracked by the same tracking id but without the actual cross domain tracking itself being configured?
GA will track whatever site it is on and send it to the reports for that particular tracking id (which doesnt require cross domain tracking)
eg i could put tracking code on my own site, and put your tracking id into it and you will get data in your reports for my site

In the Behavior>Site Content>All Pages report, GA only reports the Request URI part of a page's url, it does not include the hostname information.
So you may want to check out the hostname report in GA Audience > Technology > Network and change the Dimension from Service Provider to Hostname and see if the external shopping cart domain is also listed as one of the hostnames

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah I do see app.certain.com listed as a hostname in that report. So that means its being tracked by the same tracking id?

Will implementing cross domain tracking have any further benefit then?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Christine :-)
The main reason for cross domain tracking is for correct attribution of conversions/sales when they occur

There are a few things to consider.
- Both sites need to be using the same version of Google Analytics tracking.
Some 3rd party sites are still using ga.js for tracking. Its not possible to setup cross domain tracking between Universal analytics.js and ga.js.

- Apart from adding tracking code to the 3rd party site, do you have any control over the tracking code that gets added to that site in order to configure it for cross domain tracking?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here