Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Experiments Doubling Sessions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a Landing Page AB Test through Experiments. The numbers are odd though. The test shows that Variation1 has 182 sessions and Variation 2 has164. Note that the date range is 1/26-1/29 (today) and this matches the Date Range I have selected when reviewing the following metrics. When I go to a Landing Page report V1 shows 96 (120 total PVs) sessions and V2 85 (92 total PVs).

So the question is, how is it possible that Experiments would show 346 Total Experiment Sessions when the other reports do not indicate that? Is it pulling data another way? Just a little confused. Thanks!

Re: Experiments Doubling Sessions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, anyone have an idea? I saw an old post on the old (and way better) product forum where someone had the exact same issue. If this isn't resolved we will just move to a vendor willing to help when we have an issue I guess. We'd really appreciate any help on this. Here are the numbers now:

Variation 1:

Experiment Sessions: 378

Sessions: 159 (entrances)

Pageviews: 195

Variation 2:

Experiment Sessions: 358

Sessions: 156 (entrances)

Pageviews: 162

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey JR:

When you check data in the landing page, how do you get the landing page report V1 showing 96, do you use unified segments to only include experiment data?

In general, experiment reports and landing pages use different counting methods for sessions. For landing page, it only consider the first hit in a session, i.e., it will exclude any session that started before the experiment began, even if they eventually were part of the experiment. For experiment reporting page, as far as any hit in a session is in the experiment, it will count as a session.

Let me know if you still have questions
Thanks,
Shirley

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Shirley,
Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately that is not the case. I included Pageviews above to show that it's not just Landing Page traffic. We are only using these pages as Landing Pages, so there is minimal traffic to the pages that is not a direct entry. Regardless, even if you look at Pageviews as the metric it is still WAY off.
-JR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey JR:

I'm working on Google Content Experiments group. Can you tell me you you account info or the experiment uid and give me the permission to look at your data so I can take a deep look?

Thanks,
Shirley

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

I have exactly the same problem with an experiment between two pages.

We have a large difference between experiment sessions and unique page views on the same period.

Is there a difference between experiment sessions and unique pageviews ?

Thanks,

Clem