Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Dynamic IP addresses from GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Does anyone have a foolproof way of excluding dynamic IP's from GA please? I thought that trying to obtain the range from my ISP may be a solution but as it is Telecom Italia I do not also want to 'take out' people who may be using IP's in the range given, for obvious reasons!!

I have read that Tag Manager is a better option and have some functions already through TM for FB ads on my EComm store, but won't the same problems still be inherent with TM, namely trying to exclude a load of IP's which I don't actually know?

I have been checking over the last 2 weeks and during that period I have had 14 different IP's, all starting with 79. but there the consistency ends. The following 2 digits have ranged from 29. to 44 and so we are talking about a huge range here.If the 14 IP's had 3 sets of similar double digits as the first 6 numbers (in 3 pairs) it would be a different story. Problems are further compounded by need to turn modem off and on again fairly frequently due to internet connection problems in area where we live.

Any advice would be most welcome please as otherwise, as I do a lot of work daily on the site, GA results are basically useless in terms of traffic. Conversions etc are obviously different but page views, content, bounce, flows etc etc will all be affected by my wife and I being on the site working as do a lot every day..

Cheers

Jimmy J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jimmy j
November 2015

Re: Excluding Dynamic IP addresses from GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thanks very much for such a quick response. I had seen the Chrome extension mentioned in my various Google searches and had a look at it, but not a lot of comment surrounding it, which I thought was odd given how widespread the problem is. In fact I was about to install it but thought I would contact the community first to see if there was anything else anyone suggested. I am really most grateful for the info and incidentally have also read the Stack Overflow piece but considered that it had possible complicated issues for me - although you don't know until you try!! I will now give the extension a go and will report back - if that is possible, as this is my first time on this community. Once again thanks for your considerable help. Regards Jimmy J

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jimmy,

I have seen several options, some of which are complicated and some that should be fairly straight forward.

There is a good thread on stackoverflow for this exact issue.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22295538/how-to-exclude-traffic-in-google-analytics-from-dynamic-...

One of the more simple solutions is using the Chrome extension below.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/block-yourself-from-analy/fadgflmigmogfionelcpalhohefbnehm...

Hope that helps.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jimmy j
November 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thanks very much for such a quick response. I had seen the Chrome extension mentioned in my various Google searches and had a look at it, but not a lot of comment surrounding it, which I thought was odd given how widespread the problem is. In fact I was about to install it but thought I would contact the community first to see if there was anything else anyone suggested. I am really most grateful for the info and incidentally have also read the Stack Overflow piece but considered that it had possible complicated issues for me - although you don't know until you try!! I will now give the extension a go and will report back - if that is possible, as this is my first time on this community. Once again thanks for your considerable help. Regards Jimmy J