Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event not tracking as goal and no admin access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With apologies if this subject has been discussed in another thread, but I've been unable to get a satisfactory answer from Google Analytics telephone help. We are working with a client remotely - with only 'read & analyse' access, via marketing company, via a London office to a US Head office (where admin access is held). They have a drupal website that is recording event tracking perfectly - giving distinct campaign, action and label information in the report.

But this information is not supplied by onClick=ga('send', 'event' type event tracking - my guess is that something that we can't discern in drupal is doing it.

On the understanding that 'you can turn any event into a goal' I have asked the admin in the US (we are in the UK) to add the events as goals - which she has done perfectly, even following the capitalisation of the campaign, action and label of the event, but even though events occur every day, none of them are being tracked as goals.

Telephone help at Google respond by saying that, even though the events are showing, it's because the onClick=ga('send', 'event' code is missing from the links. My reply was that the events were already tracking perfectly and it's my understanding that 'you can turn any event into a goal'.

What is the view of the community? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul B
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The events currently do not have a value associated with them.
If the event value is removed from the goal configs

or

the event tracking is edited to include a value of 1 for those links 

then the event goals should work

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

How long ago were the goals setup? they can take 4-48hrs to show up in the GA standard reports once setup.

I'm assuming its been at least 24hrs since the goal was setup and the date range at the upper right is being adjusted to take the date range into account of when the goal was configured to also include the current days date.

Something to also keep in mind if testing.

If configured properly, should be able to see a goal conversion in the GA real time reporting 

If the session hasn't ended and cookies haven't been cleared before retesting a goal, it will give a false impression that the goal may not be working as expected, as a goal will only register once as a goal during the same session.

So.. always clear cookies after each test.

As per your thoughts, the event tracking may not necessarily be added to the actual link, could be added via seperate js so as to automate the link tracking.

Are you able to provide the url of one of the pages with the events and indicate which links are triggering the events.
Are you also able to provide a screenshot of the goal setup

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

The goals have been set up a couple of weeks now. Events track every day, but sadly not feeding through to Goals.

Yes, we can see the evenls coming through as they happen in real time view.

Here is a page with a PDF download that we are tracking as an event under 'Printable Collateral' http://www.idigazeley.com/property/MPL2110 - we are also tracking the mailtos on the left hand side to the various property agents.

Here is a screen shot of our PDF download goal (greyed out as I only have 'read & analyse' access)

Inline image 1

and here's the mailto goal

Inline image 2
Thanks so much for your help.

I look forward to your reply

Kindest regards Paul

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

as you have noted, the goals do seem to be firing as expected.

Sorry your screenshots do not seem to have added to your post correctly.
If you select the Full Editor option, there is an icon for adding Photos to a post

in the post editor options above the text box
If you can readd the images that would be great, I need to see how the goals are configured to see why they may not be tracking the events correctly as goals

Re: Event not tracking as goal and no admin access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a screen shot of our PDF download goal (greyed out as I only have 'read & analyse' access)

pdfdownloadgoal.JPG

:

and here's the mailto goal

:

mailtogoal.JPG

I hope that helps.

Kindest regards

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul B
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The events currently do not have a value associated with them.
If the event value is removed from the goal configs

or

the event tracking is edited to include a value of 1 for those links 

then the event goals should work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn and thanks,

As we don't know what extension in Drupal is providing the event tracking, we can't add the event value 1.

However, I have asked the marketing company to ask the admin in the US to remove the value of 1 in the goals config and return it to the default 'Value'. I have asked them to do it for one of the goals as an experiment. Let's see how that goes.

Kindest regards

Re: Event not tracking as goal and no admin access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

I managed to get the admin to remove the value of 1 from the goals and return them to the default 'Value'.

As you can see your idea worked a treat!!

goalsworking.JPG

Many thanks again for your help.

Kindest regards

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Excellent! Thanks for posting back and letting me know :-)