Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event based Goals showing being attributed entirely to Direct

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I've had this issue for a while now. I'm using Universal Analytics implemented through Segment.io and have set up a load of events for various things that happen on our site. Everything seems fine, the events are passing to GA, and I've set up goals using the events as the triggers which all appear to be recording the correct volume of conversions.

However, whilst these are counting the right volume, something is off in the attribution as they're being attributed 100% to 'Direct'. I know that we don't get 100% of our conversions from direct, firstly due to common sense, but also because of the fact that I've set up another goal using a destination url and that shows a varied attribution pattern. PPC for example is a large driver for us as you'd expect.

I'd really love to get these events tracking and attributing properly so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Event based Goals showing being attributed entirely to Direct

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
hi, have you checked how much of your conversion traffic happens on mobile?
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

We get about 45% of our traffic through mobile and 42% of our conversions. This is based on the url based goal.

Thanks for your help!
Jack

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The reason I ask is that a lot of direct traffic is really mobile traffic from apps opening a browser/webview. Without UTM tagging, that traffic is counted as direct. Anyhow, if it's not all mobile traffic you should be seeing more traffic sources in attribution.
Have you looked at the MultiChannel Funnel conversion path report when selecting 2 touchpoints and forcing direct traffic as the last touchpoint?

Also, do you have Referral Exclusion setup on your view?
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have looked at the model comparison looking at first clicks vs last click and it doesn't show any multi-touch conversions. As in, all the conversions are still there, they're just all down as 'direct' whether you look at last click or first click.

I've looked at the Conversion Path too and for the goal that I'm trying to fix which is an event based goal the only channel is 'Direct'. So the same issue basically.

I'm not sure what you mean by Referral Exclusion? I'm not using any subdomains though. Can you explain what I should look out for regarding the referral exclusions?

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Go to Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Referral Exclusion List

If you have a domain defined there, any traffic from it will be counted as direct.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK great, so I've checked there and there are a few domains there which I believe were put there when we were having referral issues with sub-domains. So I'll remove these and will let you know how I get one. Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I'm afraid this didn't seem to resolve the issue. But I contacted our container tag suppliers (Segment.io) and they said that we need to send the cookie data to our events server side. So they've outlined a solution here:
https://segment.com/docs/integrations/google-analytics/#server-side

As far as I understand it, the event is being passed which allows us to count the volume of conversions, but it needs to be integrated with the cookie data in order for the source of the conversion (i.e. PPC or Social etc) to show.

I've passed this on to my dev team and they're looking at the issue of how we go about doing this. I've also got another issue whereby another goal which I set up using a url is tracking an abnormally high number of conversions through SEO which I think should be counted as PPC, but I'll save that for another thread.

Thanks
Jack

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Ah see that was the missing link! Is Segment.io sends data to Universal Analytics using the Measurement Protocol without passing cookie information then yes, all traffic sent that way (and therefore conversions) are going to show as direct.