Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event Tracking - Value - Why Integer Values Only?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up a goal event to fire on completion of a form that contains a specific value. Unfortunately the event is passed as an integer. How can I pass an absolute value to that goal?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adair C
November 2015

Re: Event Tracking - Value - Why Integer Values Only?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Adiar, how are things?

The Value field unfortunately does not handle values different from whole numbers. It's just the way it is:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068?hl=en#Anatomy

Usually what people do is to convert the number to the lowest unit, e.g: If you're measuring time on the value, you pass everything in seconds. If you're using money values, I think you should convert them to cents. It's a hassle I know, but I can't tell any other way at the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adair C
November 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Adiar, how are things?

The Value field unfortunately does not handle values different from whole numbers. It's just the way it is:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068?hl=en#Anatomy

Usually what people do is to convert the number to the lowest unit, e.g: If you're measuring time on the value, you pass everything in seconds. If you're using money values, I think you should convert them to cents. It's a hassle I know, but I can't tell any other way at the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Adair C,

What do yo mean by an "absolute value"? GA Events only take integer types for the value parameter.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fair enough. It just seems strange why they won't allow for decimals.

Thanks,

Adair

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

+1 to have floats as event values. We are using events to track page load time as events which are by an order of magnitude more precise (+70% of PV) compared to GA sampled speed metrics. Although we are using events to track form usage too where the event value again is a time stamp since page has loaded until blur / validation of the form field.

Way more option to go here all ending in the fact that GA event value should be more accurate/precise. At present we have a workaround by passing the actual value as part of the label at the end and manually processing on demand afterwards.

[EDIT]: We had passed the value multiplied by 1.000 as an alternative workaround too, which had the drawback that we had to keep in mind to divide by 1k to get the correct number, though.

Thanks
Mike