Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event Tracking Not Reporting Correct Numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue I keep coming across. We have a client who has a handful of important forms that we measure on a monthly basis. We have set up event tracking and goal tracking through Analytics. The client current does not have a thank you page, so we set the goals up to track when an event is triggered.

The issue we are running into is that the numbers that are showing in the Events and Goals section do not match and neither of them match what the CMS is reporting on the backend. We original set the event tracking up as a form submission through Google Tag Manager, those numbers didn't match up. Last month we set up the events to fire on clicks, the data still does not match up. What's being reported on in Analytics is less than what is being reported in the CMS.

I have a task in with my development team to create thank you pages so we can start to track goals by the destination URL, that will only be available to the user once he/she successfully fills out the form, but until then I am trying to more accurately report on what is being shown in Analytics vs. what the CMS is reporting on.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Does event tracking not pick up on every action? Is the data in Google Analytics never going to match up 100% with the CMS?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Yes, there are multiple reasons the numbers don't match.  If GA is blocked, for example, at the browser level.  If you have Wait for tags set, you will get some submits in before the GTM data layer event (gtm.formSubmit) is pushed into the data layer.

I compare thank-you pages with form submit events and they never match up - even though they are close.  

Finally, if you are wildly successful and get enough traffic, you may be seeing sampled data anyways.

So no, the GA data will never match up. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, 

Could you post the screenshot of your goal count and Unique event numbers? 

Thanks

Sura